|“|| Raven: "The Anomaly is a wormhole!"|
Clarke: "Where does it lead?"
|— about the Anomaly [src]|
The Temporal Anomaly, often shortened to the Anomaly, (also called the Bridge) is a transport system and wormhole that connects Sanctum to Skyring and Skyring to Bardo. It is also seen on Etherea and Nakara.
The Anomaly was first discovered by Mission Team Alpha. It appears to be controlled by an alien artifact called the Anomaly Stone. Gabriel Santiago has been studying the Anomaly for 150 years. It is also on the planets Skyring and Bardo. After traveling through the Anomaly, Gabriel suggests that the Anomaly's presence on planets selected for the Eligius III mission is not a coincidence and suspects that the race that originally created it may have been using the Anomaly to find a new home.
In "The Old Man and the Anomaly", it is revealed that the radio signals get absorbed by the Anomaly and retranslates in The Verge, where it's possible to pick them up here in endless, repeating waves. It is also revealed that the Anomaly does the same as the Red Sun and that the Anomaly has similar effects on plants, only it's "constant and weirder". The Anomaly gets into people's minds, causing them to hear things and hallucinate, sometimes their darkest fear, their deepest desire, and both at once.
In "The Garden," Hope Diyoza explains that the Anomaly is a transit system which she refers to as the Bridge. The one on Sanctum leads to Skyring while the one on Skyring leads to Bardo. From a recording of Becca Franco, Gabriel Santiago learns that the time dilation effect comes from the mission planets' proximity to a black hole. The healing of Octavia's arm also appears to be related to the Anomaly or the time dilation from passing through it to Skyring as Octavia's arm was back to normal when she emerged from the Anomaly on Skyring. Though Hope lost her memories after the Anomaly vanished on Sanctum, she regains and keeps them after returning through it to Skyring. Its also mentioned that the Disciples' helmets allow anyone wearing them to keep their memories after passing through the Anomaly.
Temporal Flare Edit
A temporal flare seems to be a green light source in the sky that shoots out other green flares that burn, destroy, or "petrify" anything they touch.
In "The Gospel of Josephine", Gabriel (posing as Xavier) notices a Temporal Flare nearby. He tosses Charmaine Diyoza a rope and tells her and Octavia Blake to get out and run. Diyoza gets out, but she realizes that Octavia has no time. She tells her she will return. Octavia submerges herself in the quicksand-like substance and survives the Temporal Flare with only damage to a hand that was left exposed. Diyoza manages to dig Octavia out and they run after Gabriel/Xavier.
Throughout the Series Edit
In The Old Man and the Anomaly, Gabriel Santiago, Charmaine Diyoza, and Octavia Blake begins make their way to the Anomaly, before encountering it. After they're looking at the Anomaly, Diyoza, who begins to hallucinate her unborn, future daughter, walks into the Anomaly, with Octavia following her. Both Octavia and Diyoza went into the Anomaly, and after 2 seconds, Octavia comes out of the Anomaly.
In The Blood of Sanctum, Gabriel, Bellamy, Octavia, and Echo, begins investigating the Anomaly. Gabriel shows them an extraterrestrial artifact, known as The Anomaly Stone, and explains to them about it. They begin to activate it, causing the Anomaly to expand. After their tent gets caught in the Anomaly, Hope Diyoza emerges and appears to them, saying that an enemy has her mother, before stabbing Octavia for unknown reasons, causing Octavia to disappear into a green mist as the Anomaly returns to its normal state.
|Red Sun Rising||Absent|
|The Children of Gabriel||Absent|
|The Face Behind the Glass||Absent|
|The Gospel of Josephine||Absent|
|The Old Man and the Anomaly||Appears|
|What You Take With You||Absent|
|Ashes to Ashes||Absent|
|The Blood of Sanctum||Appears|
|From the Ashes||Appears|
|Welcome to Bardo||TBD|
|The Queen's Gambit||TBD|
Notes and Trivia Edit
- The Anomaly will be focused on in Season Seven.
- Jordan Green calls the 'green light' first an aurora (false as auroras have a magnet as source)
- Charmaine Diyoza is the first shown person to walk into the Anomaly.
- Octavia Blake was the second shown person to walk into the Anomaly and the first known person who walked out of the Anomaly.
- Hope Diyoza is the second person to walk out of the Anomaly - Hope was born on a different planet and grew up at the age of 20's in the future, before coming back into the past on Alpha, due to time dilation.
- According to Becca Franco, the Eligius mission planets are in close proximity to a black hole which would explain the time dilation. Time slows down the closer an object is to a black hole, meaning that centuries can pass for that object in a matter of seconds to the rest of the universe. The closer the object is, the greater the time dilation.
- Becca states that Beta was further out from the black hole than the other planets, explaining why time would run faster there.