|“||He is Russell Lightbourne, seventh of his line, savior of Sanctum. And you will bow before using his name.||”|
|— Simone describing him.|
Russell Lightbourne is a recurring character in the sixth and seventh seasons. He is portrayed by JR Bourne and Sean Maguire and debuts in "Red Sun Rising". He served as one of the two main antagonists of Season Six, alongside Josephine Lightbourne.
Early Life Edit
Russell was born on Earth, and when he was a young boy on Earth, his first pet dog bit his face. However, his father still loved the dog and refused to put him down, claiming that the dog deserves a second chance. A few years later, the dog attacked Russell's infant sister for crawling near his bowl, and two days later, Russell's sister had died. At some point, when he was an adult, he married Simone Lightbourne and they had a daughter, Josephine.
The three of them went aboard Eligius III to travel to the moon Alpha. They arrived there in 2045 and were original members of Mission Team Alpha. Russell was the team leader. On day 21 of the mission, Russell killed Simone, Josephine, and others during an eclipse induced psychosis.
Russell spent the next 25 years trying to figure out how to use Mind Drives to bring his family back. In 2070, he assisted Gabriel Santiago in bringing his daughter back via an adult, black blood host. After this successful experiment, Russell and Gabriel manages to bring back Simone and the others who were killed.
His family become three of the Primes and used various hosts for the next two centuries to be reborn after each death. Russell is currently the "seventh of his line", that is, on his sixth host.
Throughout the Series Edit
He appears to be a stern and kind leader. He is a charismatic leader, a visionary and pioneer, who rules over a "peaceful society."
During his first life, he seemed like a nice person, he seems to be kind and hardworking. He cares about his family and for a new settlement. However the eclipse caused him to become psychotic and kill his family and friends. After the eclipse had passed, he seemed to be wracked with guilt, as he spent the next 25 years with Gabriel trying to bring Josephine back through the Mind Drives before using it on the others he killed.
Although he was willing to murder Clarke Griffin to get Josephine back, Russell expressed remorse for his actions. After discovering that Clarke survived, he wanted to bring her back and put Josephine into a new, willing host to make that wrong right. He also balked at the idea of executing the people from Earth as he still wanted a peaceful end to things, showing that he is not naturally as bloodthirsty as his wife seems to be.
After Simone is assassinated, Russell's personality changes completely and he loses all hesitation in his desire to get revenge, willing to burn people at the stake to get it as a form of justice. He begins acting more ruthless, though he is willing to give the people from Earth a chance to earn their freedom by helping to replicate Nightblood using bone marrow transfusions so he can save his wife rather than giving into his bloodlust completely.
Despite his actions, Russell is shown to be sympathetic to a degree to what the prisoners from Earth are going through. When Abby threatens to kill him for Josephine supposedly taking permanent control of Clarke's body, Russell understands what she is going through one parent to another, especially as he knows what it's like to do whatever it takes to get your child back. As a result, he understands her anger and that she means what she says. He is also sympathetic enough to not force Abby to continue extracting Madi's bone marrow when it would mean killing her to continue, instead offering to have his healers do it instead.
Physical Appearance Edit
His current host is tall, broad and skinny, with a beard and greying hair.
His original appearance was a white male with blonde hair and a mustache.
Simone Lightbourne Edit
Simone is Russell's wife and agrees with him on many things. He takes her opinion into consideration when decision making and the pair are often seen leading their people side by side. Both are Primes with the Royal Blood who occupy hosts of their own. They have been together for over two centuries. Russell is utterly devastated by both of her deaths, particularly when Clarke floats her as he has no way of retrieving Simone for resurrection.
Josephine Lightbourne Edit
He seems to be very close to his daughter, Josephine. He cares deeply for her and often lets her get away with things. He respects her work, though he disagrees with some of her opinions. After learning of Josephine's death, Russell is immediately reduced to tears. Her death and Simone's shortly after he learns about it causes Russell to seek revenge upon Clarke for his losses.
|Red Sun Rising||Flashback|
|The Children of Gabriel||Appears|
|The Face Behind the Glass||Appears|
|The Gospel of Josephine||Appears|
|The Old Man and the Anomaly||Appears|
|What You Take With You||Mentioned|
|Ashes to Ashes||Appears|
|The Blood of Sanctum||Appears|
- Russell Lightbourne: "Do you remember when I told you why I became an astronomer?"
- Josephine Lightbourne: "You wanted to prove there's no God. Too bad Nietzsche beat you to it when he said "Gott ist tot." God is dead. Can I go now?"
- Russell Lightbourne: "What would you say if I told you that being here in this miraculous place, makes me question that?"
- Josephine Lightbourne: "I'd say.. not everything that miraculous is a miracle."
- -- Red Sun Rising
- Russell Lightbourne: "I came to this world with a dream. From that dream, we created Sanctum and gave life to every single one of you. Simone and I have loved you as we loved your parents and their parents before them. You are our children, and for 200 years, we taught you not to fight, we taught you to forgive, but there are some things for which there can be no forgiveness."
- -- Matryoshka
Killed Victims Edit
- Simone Lightbourne I (axed to death under the influence of the eclipse; later reborn via a Mind Drive)
- Josephine Lightbourne I (axed to death under the influence of the eclipse; later reborn via a Mind Drive)
- Unknown number of other Primes (shot them while under the influence of the eclipse; later reborn via Mind Drives)
- Brooke and others born in Sanctum (unwilling participants in Mind Drive experiments)
- Tai Sr. (burned at the stake for killing Simone)
- Abigail Griffin (mind wiped to become Simone's new host)
- Jade (mind wiped to become Jasmine's new host)
- Sierra (mind wiped to become Miranda's new host)
- Bryson (mind wiped to become Caleb's new host)
- Layla (indirectly through his use of the Red Sun toxin)
- Tory (indirectly through his use of the Red Sun toxin)
- Unknown number of Sanctum Citizens (indirectly through his use of the Red Sun toxin)
Notes and Trivia Edit
- His character was announced on September 21, 2018.
- He was the first person who turned psychotic on the new world due to the Red Sun eclipse.
- In "The Children of Gabriel", Russell VII mentions that he was bitten in the face by a dog when he was a child. Russell I had a scar on the side of his face which may have been from that dog attack.
- As of "The Blood of Sanctum," Russell is the only Prime still alive as well as the only Prime to not be killed on-screen at least once.
- He, James Crockett, Blythe Ann Workman, Jae Workman, Gabriel Santiago, Hope Diyoza, Cassius and Nelson are the only characters introduced in Season Six that are known to still be alive.