|“||Becca: Define "perverse instantiation."
A.L.I.E.: Perverse instantiation... the implementation of a benign final goal through deleterious methods unforeseen by a human programmer.
|— Becca and A.L.I.E.'s exchange|
In the season's epic and mind-bending conclusion, our heroes begin to face the reality of their tragic situation. Everyone prepares for a final showdown.
- Eliza Taylor as Clarke Griffin
- Paige Turco as Abigail Griffin
- Bob Morley as Bellamy Blake
- Marie Avgeropoulos as Octavia Blake
- Devon Bostick as Jasper Jordan and A.L.I.E.
- Christopher Larkin as Monty Green
- Lindsey Morgan as Raven Reyes
- Richard Harmon as John Murphy
- Isaiah Washington as Thelonious Jaha
- Henry Ian Cusick as Marcus Kane
- Jojo Ahenkorah as Costa (credited as Name Caller)
- Ava Eileen Wilson as Little Girl On Bike
- Armando Canales as Follower
- Eleanor Hall as Woman with Infinity Hair
- A.L.I.E. (possessing Jasper Jordan): "Raven your chances of reaching the kill switch again are less than 2%. I've added additional security. I know the digital signature of the chip Hannah gave to Monty. The moment you use the portal to interact with anything within my code, I will know. I will find you. Are you really willing to let your friend die for a 2% chance?"
- Clarke Griffin: "I'm ok. I know how to stop A.L.I.E. I have to take the chip."
- Bellamy Blake: "What?"
- Clarke Griffin: "I have to go into the City of Light and find the kill switch."
- John Murphy: "Yeah. That sounds like a great idea."
- Abby Griffin: "Clarke, listen to me. A.L.I.E. wants the Flame. If you take the chip, you're giving it to her. The second someone sees you, A.L.I.E. is gonna know that you're there. She'll kill you. If your mind dies, you die."
- Clarke Griffin: "The Flame will protect me. I don't know how I know. I just... know."
- Bellamy Blake: "I believe you."
- Abby Griffin: "Do you even know what you're looking for?"
- Clarke Griffin: "I'll know when I find it."
- Abby Griffin: "May we meet again."
- Clarke Griffin: "We will."
- Bellamy Blake: "We'll keep you safe."
- Charles Pike: "If we're gonna survive this, we'll need to stand together."
- Octavia Blake: "Now you say that."
- Bellamy Blake: "O.? O., listen to me. I know how you feel. I let my need for revenge put me on the wrong side. I don't want that for you."
- Charles Pike: "Wasn't the wrong side. If the Grounder army was still there when Lexa died, they would have attacked, and you know it."
- Bellamy Blake: "I wanted to see things like you. I needed that, to believe that they were bad and we were good. I don't know what I believe anymore. I just know I have to live with what I've done."
- Harper McIntyre: "Wait. Clarke took the chip?"
- Raven Reyes: "She would've had to but--"
- Monty Green: "What?"
- Raven Reyes: "A.L.I.E.'s running a flush subroutine to find her, sending Clarke's code out to everyone."
- Monty Green: "Like she's a virus."
- Raven Reyes: "Exactly. A.L.I.E. wouldn't have to do that if she could control her. It's like Clarke is running a different program."
- Monty Green (whispering): "Could she have put the Flame in her head?"
- A.L.I.E. (possessing Jasper Jordan): "You don't have to whisper. I'm aware Clarke has merged with the other AI. Thanks to her, my code is now updating to version 2 of my program."
- Monty Green: "What happens when A.L.I.E. is updated?"
- Raven Reyes: "She'll delete the kill switch. We won't be able to stop her."
- Harper McIntyre: "So find the damn kill switch."
- Clarke Griffin: "I never thought I'd see you again."
- Lexa: "I told you my spirit would choose wisely."
- Clarke Griffin: "Jasper, what are you doing here?"
- Jasper Jordan: "Trying to stop you. You've seen the City of Light now. It's perfect. There's peace, happiness, safety. Why would you want to deny that to anyone?"
- Clarke Griffin: "She's torturing people to get them here, Jasper, taking their memories, controlling them. This isn't even you. This is A.L.I.E."
- Jasper: "She's doing what has to be done."
- Clarke Griffin: "She took away our choice. Human beings have free will. We get to decide how we should live."
- Jasper Jordan: "Human beings are the only species that act against their own self-interest. We torture each other. We fight, hurt each other, break each other's hearts. None of that exists here. A.L.I.E. is protecting us from ourselves."
- Lexa: "We can't let them follow. Go. I'll hold them off."
- Clarke Griffin: "No, Lexa. I love you."
- Lexa: "I'll always be with you."
- Becca Franko: "Commander... I'm glad you made it."
- Clarke Griffin: "You're Becca Pramheda."
- Becca Franko: "Becca's fine. There isn't much time. The code is nearly updated."
- Clarke Griffin (holds up her watch): "Did you give me this?"
- Becca Franko: "No. You did. A.L.I.E. 2.0 has merged with your mind, but your mind is in control, and only the mind that's in control can operate the kill switch. This is it."
- A.L.I.E.: "If you pull that... you will be killing everyone. See for yourself. The nuclear power plants that weren't destroyed by the bombs have begun to melt down. My drones detected the first of them four months ago. There are more than a dozen at-risk plants around the world, seven currently burning. Global radiation levels are already rising. By my calculations, in less than six months, ninety-six percent of the Earth's surface will be uninhabitable... even for those born in space, so, you see, the City of Light is the only thing that can save you."
- Bellamy Blake: "They're unarmed, but they won't feel pain, and they won't stop until they're out cold."
- Nathan Miller: "Copy that. Go for the knockout."
- A.L.I.E.: "The last time I warned my creator of a threat to human survival, she chose to lock me away and came here to work on my replacement."
- Becca Franko: "Define 'perverse instantiation.'"
- A.L.I.E.: "Perverse instantiation... the implementation of a benign, final goal through deleterious methods unforeseen by a human programmer."
- Becca Franko: "Like killing 6.5 billion people to solve overpopulation. The goal isn't everything, A.L.I.E. How you reach the goal matters, too. I'm sorry that I didn't teach you that."
- A.L.I.E.: "Would you really condemn the human race to die in 6 months?"
- Clarke Griffin: "We'll figure something out. We always do."
- Becca Franko: "Yes, Clarke. There's still hope."
- A.L.I.E.: "According to my calculations, there is not."
- Becca Franko: "10 seconds."
- A.L.I.E.: "Let me ease their pain, Clarke. We can save the human race together."
- Clarke Griffin: "You don't ease pain. You overcome it... and we will."
- Monty Green: "How will we know if she did it?"
- Jasper Jordan (crying): "She did it."
- Monty Green: "Jasper. Is it really you?"
- Jasper Jordan: "I was finally happy."
- Monty Green: "Jasper..."
- Jasper Jordan: "Huh?"
- Monty Green: "I know this world can suck, but at least it's real. We can get through this together."
- Jasper Jordan: "You really believe that?"
- Monty Green: "We will be happy again, I promise."
- Jasper Jordan: "I'm sorry I stabbed you."
- Monty Green: "I'm sorry I shot you."
- Jasper Jordan: "I didn't feel it."
- Clarke Griffin: "A.L.I.E.'s gone."
- Bellamy Blake: "Yeah. I figured. Clarke, you're not acting like someone who just saved the world."
- Clarke Griffin: "Because we didn't... Not yet."
Notes and Trivia
- The episode's title is retrieved from a conversation between Becca Franko and A.L.I.E.: Becca: "Define perverse instantiation." A.L.I.E.: "Perverse instantiation: the implementation of a benign final goal through deleterious methods unforeseen by a human programmer."
- This episode makes it the first time Abby Griffin had to directly kill someone, as she shoots a chipped Grounder that was trying to get to Clarke.
- Both the Battle of Polis, and the Battle of the City of Light take place concurrently in this episode.
- These two battles are both part of the War Against A.L.I.E.
- In "Nevermind," it's revealed that Clarke retains a neural mesh from taking the chip to enter the City of Light which protects her from a mind wipe. In contrast, Raven and Abby have both lost theirs due to the EMP removing their chip as confirmed in "The Blood of Sanctum."
- In Season Seven, the Disciples are shown to believe that Clarke still retains the Flame in her head following the events of this episode, possibly because the last memory they saw of Octavia's was A.L.I.E.'s destruction at Clarke's hands.
- 12+ A.L.I.E.'s Cult Members
- A.L.I.E. (terminated by Clarke Griffin by pulling the kill switch)
- Ontari (brain damage, then brain dead body used to keep Clarke Griffin alive in the City of Light. Heart eventually stopped leading to her full death)
- Charles Pike (stabbed through the chest by Octavia Blake)
Behind the Scenes
- Goof: Abby slices Ontari's chest open and immediately starts squeezing the heart, which would be impossible without sawing through the sternum first. However, there appears to be a chest spreader and there was a short moment when the camera moved to Clarke during which time Abby may have been able to apply the spreader off-screen.
- The finale ending was rewritten. In the original ending, Jasper committed suicide after coming out of the City of Light. It was decided it was too dark and Jasper was spared.
- This makes it the second time Jasper's death was rewritten.
|The Flame Will Protect||The 100: Original Television Soundtrack (Season 3)||Tree Adams||Purchase|
|Raven's Path||The 100: Original Television Soundtrack (Season 3)||Tree Adams||Purchase|
|I Will Always Be with You||The 100: Original Television Soundtrack (Season 3)||Tree Adams||Purchase|
|The Program That Ended the World||The 100: Original Television Soundtrack (Season 3)||Tree Adams||Purchase|
|Perverse Instantiation||The 100: Original Television Soundtrack (Season 3)||Tree Adams||Purchase|
|The Awakening||The 100: Original Television Soundtrack (Season 3)||Tree Adams||Purchase|
- Wieselman, Jarett (22 Jul 2016) Tweet “Originally, Jasper killed himself at the end of S3 after coming out of The City of Light. 'It was too dark, even for me,' J.R. says” - @JarettSays
- Tell-Tale TV (22 Jul 2016) Tweet “Original ending of the finale: Jasper was supposed to come out of the City of Light and 'blow his brains out.'” - @TellTV