|“|| Becca: Define "perverse instantiation."|
A.L.I.E.: Perverse instantiation... the implementation of a benign final goal through deleterious methods unforeseen by a human programmer.
|— Becca and A.L.I.E.'s exchange|
In the season's epic and mind-bending conclusion, our heroes begin to face the reality of their tragic situation. Everyone prepares for a final showdown.
- Eliza Taylor as Clarke Griffin
- Paige Turco as Abigail Griffin
- Bob Morley as Bellamy Blake
- Marie Avgeropoulos as Octavia Blake
- Devon Bostick as Jasper Jordan and A.L.I.E.
- Christopher Larkin as Monty Green
- Lindsey Morgan as Raven Reyes
- Richard Harmon as John Murphy
- Isaiah Washington as Thelonious Jaha
- Henry Ian Cusick as Marcus Kane
Guest Starring Edit
- Jojo Ahenkorah as Costa (credited as Name Caller)
- Ava Eileen Wilson as Little Girl On Bike
- Armando Canales as Follower
- Eleanor Hall as Woman with Infinity Hair
- A.L.I.E. (possessing Jasper Jordan): "Raven your chances of reaching the kill switch again are less than 2%. I've added additional security. I know the digital signature of the chip Hannah gave to Monty. The moment you use the portal to interact with anything within my code, I will know. I will find you. Are you really willing to let your friend die for a 2% chance?"
- Clarke: "Jasper, what are you doing here?"
- Jasper: "Trying to stop you. You've seen the City of Light now. It's perfect. There's peace, happiness, safety. Why would you want to deny that to anyone?"
- Clarke: "She's torturing people to get them here, Jasper, taking their memories, controlling them. This isn't even you. This is A.L.I.E."
- Jasper: "She's doing what has to be done."
- Clarke: "She took away our choice. Human beings have free will. We get to decide how we should live."
- Jasper: "Human beings are the only species that act against their own self-interest. We torture each other. We fight, hurt each other, break each other's hearts. None of that exists here. A.L.I.E. is protecting us from ourselves."
- Abby: "If your mind dies, you die."
- Clarke: "The Flame will protect me. I don't know how I know. I just... know."
- Bellamy: "I believe you."
- Abby: "Do you even know what you're looking for?"
- Clarke: "I'll know when I find it."
- Abby: "May we meet again."
- Clarke: "We will."
- Bellamy: "We'll keep you safe."
- Monty: "What happen when A.L.I.E is updated?"
- Raven: "She'll delete the kill switch. We won't be able to stop her."
- Harper: "So, find the damn kill switch."
- Bellamy (to Octavia): "O.? O., listen to me. I know how you feel. I let my need for revenge put me on the wrong side. I don't want that for you."
- Pike: "Wasn't the wrong side. If the Grounder army was still there when Lexa died, they would have attacked, and you know it."
- Bellamy: "I wanted to see things like you. I needed that, to believe that they were bad and we were good. I don't know what I believe anymore. I just know I have to live with what I've done."
- Lexa: "We can't let them follow. Go. I'll hold them off."
- Clarke: "No, Lexa. I love you."
- Lexa: "I'll always be with you."
- A.L.I.E.: "If you pull that... you will be killing everyone. See for yourself. The nuclear power plants that weren't destroyed by the bombs have begun to melt down. My drones detected the first of them four months ago. There are more than a dozen at-risk plants around the world, seven currently burning. Global radiation levels are already rising. By my calculations, in less than six months, ninety-six percent of the Earth's surface will be uninhabitable... even for those born in space, so, you see, the City of Light is the only thing that can save you."
- Bellamy: "They're unarmed, but they won't feel pain, and they won't stop until they're out cold."
- Miller: "Copy that. Go for the knockout."
- A.L.I.E.: "The last time I warned my creator of a threat to human survival, she chose to lock me away and came here to work on my replacement."
- Becca: "Define 'perverse instantiation.'"
- A.L.I.E.: "Perverse instantiation... the implementation of a benign, final goal through deleterious methods unforeseen by a human programmer."
- Becca: "Like killing 6.5 billion people to solve overpopulation. The goal isn't everything, A.L.I.E. How you reach the goal matters, too. I'm sorry that I didn't teach you that."
- A.L.I.E.: "Would you really condemn the human race to die in 6 months?"
- Clarke: "We'll figure something out. We always do."
- Becca: "Yes, Clarke. There's still hope."
- A.L.I.E.: "According to my calculations, there is not."
- Becca: "10 seconds."
- A.L.I.E.: "Let me ease their pain, Clarke. We can save the human race together."
- Clarke: "You don't ease pain. You overcome it... and we will."
- Monty: "I know this world can suck, but at least it's real. We can get through this together."
- Jasper: "You really believe that?"
- Monty: "We will be happy again, I promise."
- Jasper: "I'm sorry I stabbed you."
- Monty: "I'm sorry I shot you."
- Jasper: "I didn't feel it."
- Clarke: "A.L.I.E.'s gone."
- Bellamy: "Yeah. I figured. Clarke, you're not acting like someone who just saved the world."
- Clarke: "Because we didn't... Not yet."
Notes and Trivia Edit
- The episode's title is retrieved from a conversation between Becca Franco and A.L.I.E.: Becca: "Define perverse instantiation." A.L.I.E.: "Perverse instantiation: the implementation of a benign final goal through deleterious methods unforeseen by a human programmer."
- This episode makes it the first time Abby Griffin had to directly kill someone, as she shoots a chipped Grounder that was trying to get to Clarke.
- Both the Battle of Polis, and the Battle of the City of Light take place concurrently in this episode.
- These two battles are both part of the War Against A.L.I.E.
- In "Nevermind," it's revealed that Clarke retains a neural mesh from taking the chip to enter the City of Light which protects her from a mind wipe. In contrast, Raven and Abby have both lost theirs due to the EMP removing their chip as confirmed in "The Blood of Sanctum."
- In Season Seven, the Disciples are shown to believe that Clarke still retains the Flame in her head following the events of this episode, possibly because the last memory they saw of Octavia's was A.L.I.E.'s destruction at Clarke's hands.
Body Count Edit
- Two Grounders (shot by Bellamy)
- One Grounder (neck broken by Pike)
- One Grounder (shot by Abby)
- Several City of Light residents (killed by Lexa to protect Clarke)
- A.L.I.E. (terminated by Clarke by pulling the kill switch)
- Ontari (brain damage, then brain dead body used to keep Clarke alive in the City of Light. Heart eventually stopped leading to her full death)
- Charles Pike (stabbed through the chest by Octavia)
Behind the Scenes Edit
- Goof: Abby slices Ontari's chest open and immediately starts squeezing the heart, which would be impossible without sawing through the sternum first. However, there appears to be a chest spreader and there was a short moment when the camera moved to Clarke during which time Abby may have been able to apply the spreader off-screen.
- The finale ending was rewritten. In the original ending, Jasper committed suicide after coming out of the City of Light. It was decided it was too dark and Jasper was spared.
- This makes it the second time Jasper's death was rewritten.
|The Flame Will Protect||The 100: Original Television Soundtrack (Season 3)||Tree Adams||Purchase|
|Raven's Path||The 100: Original Television Soundtrack (Season 3)||Tree Adams||Purchase|
|I Will Always Be with You||The 100: Original Television Soundtrack (Season 3)||Tree Adams||Purchase|
|The Program That Ended the World||The 100: Original Television Soundtrack (Season 3)||Tree Adams||Purchase|
|Perverse Instantiation||The 100: Original Television Soundtrack (Season 3)||Tree Adams||Purchase|
|The Awakening||The 100: Original Television Soundtrack (Season 3)||Tree Adams||Purchase|
See Also Edit
- ↑ http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/04/the-cw-primetime-listings-for-week-of_29.html
- ↑ Wieselman, Jarett (22 Jul 2016) Tweet “Originally, Jasper killed himself at the end of S3 after coming out of The City of Light. 'It was too dark, even for me,' J.R. says” - @JarettSays
- ↑ Tell-Tale TV (22 Jul 2016) Tweet “Original ending of the finale: Jasper was supposed to come out of the City of Light and 'blow his brains out.'” - @TellTV