|“||I deserve this throne. I was raised for it. Snatched from my parents by the Queen of Azgeda. I suffered her cruelty. I won the Conclave. The Ambassadors don't get to judge me, and neither do you.||”|
|— to Murphy [src]|
Ontari was a Nightblood from the Ice Nation and after Lexa's death came to Polis in order to become the next Commander. However, she never won the conclave but simply killed all other Nightbloods while they were asleep. Moreover, she was missing the Flame that truly made someone a Commander.
Jaha managed to convince her to take the chip that allowed her to enter the City of Light and as a result of being controlled by A.L.I.E. she convinced most her people to also take the chip. When Clarke and the others were trying to put the Flame into her, A.L.I.E. told Jaha to kill her. The controlled Jaha then struck Ontari in the head, which rendered her brain dead.
Ontari was born a Nightblood. As a child, she was taken from her family by Queen Nia of Azgeda, who then hid her status as a Nightblood from the Flamekeepers. Ontari grew up suffering under Nia's cruelty, which may have led to her brutal and sadistic nature in her later years.
Throughout the Series
Ontari is ruthless and sadistic toward her enemies, but also has a soft spot for some people such as John Murphy; however, she threatens and even goes as far as to rape Murphy. Despite having suffered under Nia's cruelty, she remains loyal to her Queen. Ontari is shown to be very insecure about her position as a fake Commander. When she encounters a problem, her instinct is to take action immediately rather than thinking things through first.
Ontari is small to average size, with long brown hair, brown eyes and scars on her face.
Clarke, putting a knife to her throat when she saw her, blaming her for Nia's death. In Fallen, Ontari says that she suffered from Nia's cruelty while growing up, which possibly led to her being loyal to Nia.
Nia. Shortly after Lexa's death, Ontari did not waste any time in claiming her throne, wanting to become the next Heda.
- Main article: Murphy and Ontari
Murphy and Ontari have a complicated sexual and abusive relationship. Upon meeting for the first time, Ontari verbally and physically abuses Murphy. Despite the abuse, they both flirt with each other. Ontari doesn't mind being naked in front of Murphy, and Murphy doesn't bother to look away. In Fallen, Murphy proposes to be Ontari's "fake flamekeeper" to her "fake commander". Reluctant at first, Ontari accepts his advice. Later that episode, Ontari chains Murphy while she undresses in front of him. She then proposes for them to have sex to which Murphy refuses, telling her about Emori. Ontari asks him if Emori would kill him for cheating on her and threatens his life. Murphy ends up letting her rape him while murmuring "the things I do to survive".
In Perverse Instantiation (Part 2), Murphy pumps Ontari's heart so that Clarke can use her Nightblood to destroy A.L.I.E. with the Flame. After Ontari dies, Murphy shows no real care for her loss beyond disgust at what he was forced to do.In 'Memento Mori', Murphy tells Josephine Lightbourne about Ontari while preparing her to pose as Clarke. Josephine thinks that Murphy pumping Ontari's heart was badass but he just finds it gross and changes the subject.
|Wanheda (Part 1)||Absent|
|Wanheda (Part 2)||Absent|
|Ye Who Enter Here||Absent|
|Watch the Thrones||Appears|
|Terms and Conditions||Absent|
|Join or Die||Appears|
|Red Sky at Morning||Absent|
|Perverse Instantiation (Part 1)||Appears|
|Perverse Instantiation (Part 2)||Appears|
|Heavy Lies the Crown||Absent|
|The Four Horsemen||Mentioned|
|A Lie Guarded||Absent|
|The Tinder Box||Absent|
|We Will Rise||Absent|
|Die All, Die Merrily||Absent|
|The Other Side||Absent|
|Red Sun Rising||Absent|
|The Children of Gabriel||Absent|
|The Face Behind the Glass||Absent|
|The Gospel of Josephine||Absent|
|The Old Man and the Anomaly||Absent|
|What You Take With You||Absent|
|Ashes to Ashes||Absent|
|The Blood of Sanctum||Absent|
- John Murphy: "I'm guessing to know all the names of the dead Commanders you actually have to be one."
- Ontari: "You're guessing? The Ambassadors are expecting me. I'll have to kill them all now."
- John Murphy: "Seems a bit excessive."
- Ontari: "I deserve this throne. I was raised for it. Snatched from my parents by the Queen of Azgeda. I suffered her cruelty. I won the Conclave. The Ambassadors don't get to judge me, and neither do you."
- -- Fallen
- Seven Nightbloods (decapitated in their sleep)
- Titus (indirectly; ordered Roan to put a knife to his throat)
- Herself (indirectly; allowed Jaha to kill her while under control of A.L.I.E.)
Notes and Trivia
- Ontari's name originates from Ontario, a lake and a Canadian province within Azgeda territory.
- Ontari was snatched from her parents by Queen Nia because she was a Nightblood. Her existence was kept hidden from the Flamekeepers and she was trained in the Ice Nation instead of Polis.
- After Lexa's death, and Ontari's slaughter of the Nightblood children who trained in Polis, this meant her and Luna were the only two known Nightbloods at the time.
- After her own death, Luna was the only known Nightblood left.
- She serves as a recurring antagonist of Season Three.