|“||The key is a fully developed brain. Once the adult host's consciousness is gone, the mind stored in the drive uploads with ease.||”|
|— Gabriel Santiago [src]|
Mind Drives (formerly known as Memory Drives), also referred to as the "Miracle of Sanctum" by the citizens, are cybernetic implants used in Sanctum to transfer the consciousness and memory of Primes from host to host.
These implants were reversed-engineered by Gabriel Santiago, whose work and research was used and taken advantage of by the Primes. The Primes wanted to use the Mind Drives to keep them alive forever by implanting the Mind Drives into the bodies of their new hosts, after their former host dies from old age. They wanted to use the Mind Drives to keep themselves in power as the immortal rulers of Sanctum, forever.
In 2045, after some of the members of the Mission Team Alpha, were killed by Russell Lightbourne, who was affected by the toxin-induced psychosis caused by the Red Sun eclipse, Russell and Dr. Gabriel Santiago began to use the Memory Drives to reverse-engineer these implants into a new technology, known as the Mind Drives, in order to resurrect those who were killed. After 25 years of failed tests, they successfully brought back Josephine Lightbourne, using fully grown human embryos with Nightblood. Due to this success, those who were killed were also brought back in the new bodies, using Mind Drives.
For hundreds of years, the newly-resurrected members of the Mission Team Alpha, also known as the Primes, decides to use Gabriel's new invention to keep them alive by reincarnating themselves into the new bodies of the Hosts. To do this, the Primes began their lies and a cult of personality in Sanctum to trick people into believing them as gods and giving up their bodies as a sacrifice through a ceremony known as Naming Day. Every year, the Primes use the mind-wiping serum to erase the Hosts' consciousness and then implant the Mind Drives into the back of their heads. They used the Mind Drives to keep them alive inside the Hosts after each deaths from old age. They also want to use the Mind Drives to remain in power as the rulers of Sanctum, forever.
Because of this inhumane actions of the Primes, Gabriel becomes guilt-ridden by his new invention as it was implied that the Mind Drive was meant to resurrect those who died in the first Red Sun eclipse just for one time only. To stop the Primes, Gabriel defects from Sanctum and founded the Children of Gabriel.
|Red Sun Rising||Absent|
|The Children of Gabriel||Absent|
|The Face Behind the Glass||Appears|
|The Gospel of Josephine||Appears|
|The Old Man and the Anomaly||Appears|
|What You Take With You||Absent|
|Ashes to Ashes||Appears|
|The Blood of Sanctum||Appears|
|From the Ashes||Appears|
|Welcome to Bardo||Absent|
|The Queen's Gambit||Absent|
|A Little Sacrifice||Absent|
|A Sort of Homecoming||Absent|
|The Dying of the Light||Absent|
|The Last War||Absent|
Notes and Trivia
- This is the third type of mind interacting chips shown in the series. The first were the City of Light Keys created by A.L.I.E. and the second was A.L.I.E. 2.0, a.k.a. the Flame, created by Becca Franko.
- Chronologically, Mind Drives were created before the other two chips.
- Clarke Griffin has utilized all three, albeit unwillingly in the case of the Mind Drive.
- Due to the Mind Drives and the Flame both being created by Becca, the two technologies are compatible meaning that a computer intended to repair Mind Drives can also repair the Flame.
- Unlike A.L.I.E., which is a true artificial intelligence (machine intelligence), the Mind Drives store a real person's consciousness.
- It took Gabriel Santiago 25 years to jailbreak the Mind Drive.
- A person's consciousness can be deleted from the Mind Drive and a different consciousness can be written onto the Mind Drive.
- Simone Lightbourne deleted the Lee family from their Mind Drives using the Memory Drive Interface Computer. Those four Mind Drives went to John Murphy, Emori, Clarke, and Kane. Murphy and Emori have taken Daniel's and Kaylee's names, presumably taking their Mind Drives. Clarke and Kane would then have been left with Faye's and Victor's Mind Drives.
- Josephine removed herself from her Mind Drive when she hung on inside of Clarke's mind using her neural mesh which had been created by the City of Light Key. Her consciousness was killed by Clarke while her Mind Drive is now empty.
- Sheidheda uploaded himself to Russell Lightbourne's Mind Drive and then deleted Russell from it by killing the Prime in their shared Mindspace.
- The consciousness inside a Mind Drive can be deleted.
- There were thirteen Mind Drives sent to Sanctum with Mission Team Alpha.
- Three Mind Drives are currently in use. The are being used by Murphy, Emori, and Clarke. After Emori dies, Murphy has her Mind Drive placed into his head before they Transcend. It is unclear what became of their Mind Drives following their return to human form.
- Five Mind Drives were floated and permanently lost in space. Clarke floated Simone and the three Masons. Kane, who had received one of the Lee family's wiped Mind Drives, was floated by his own request.
- Priya Desai's Mind Drive was smashed by Russell.
- Ryker Desai's Mind Drive still contains his mind. It was last seen given to Priya, but it is unclear what happened to it afterwards.
- Josephine's Mind Drive is empty and was last seen in Gabriel's possession.
- Russell's Mind Drive is surgically removed to prevent Sheidheda from ever being able to resurrect again.
- Gabriel is killed by Sheidheda and his Mind Drive once again contains his consciousness, but he wished for a permanent death meaning that no one would try to resurrect him. His Mind Drive is left in the corpse of his last host in the Second Dawn Bunker.
- Besides Sanctum, Eligius III went to four other planets, sending mission teams to each. Each team member had a Memory Drive.
- According to Russell in "The Blood of Sanctum," the Mind Drives can be accessed wirelessly.
- Since the Primes were planning to access the drives of the teams on the other planets, this would mean their original Memory Drives could be accessed wirelessly.
- Sheidheda used this wireless capacity to upload himself onto Russell's Mind Drive.
- The device that Gabriel attempted to use to repair the Flame in "Blood Giant" appears to be the same one that Simone Lightbourne used to delete the Lee family's Mind Drives in "Memento Mori."
- A.L.I.E. 2.0, a.k.a. the Flame
- City of Light Key
- Becca Franko, the creator of the first Memory Drives