|“||The key is a fully developed brain. Once the adult host's consciousness is gone, the mind stored in the drive uploads with ease||”|
|— Gabriel Santiago [src]|
Mind Drives, formerly known as the Memory Drives, are cybernetic implants used on Sanctum to transfer the consciousness and memory of Primes from host to host. This technology is also referred to as the "Miracle of Sanctum" by the citizens. These implants were reversed-engineered by Gabriel Santiago, whose work and research was used and taken advantage of by the Primes. The Primes wanted to use the Mind Drives to keep them alive forever by implanting the Mind Drives into the bodies of their new Hosts, after each deaths from old age. The consciousness inside the Mind Drives can also be deleted.
In 2045, after some of the members of the Mission Team Alpha, were killed by Russell Lightbourne, who was affected by the toxin-induced psychosis caused by the Red Sun eclipse, Russell and Dr. Gabriel Santiago began to use the Memory Drives to reverse-engineer these implants into a new technology, known as the Mind Drives, in order to resurrect those who were killed. After 25 years of failed tests, they successfully brought back Josephine Lightbourne, using fully grown human embryos with Nightblood. Due to this success, those who were killed were also brought back in the new bodies, using Mind Drives.
For hundreds of years, the newly-resurrected members of the Mission Team Alpha, also known as the Primes, decides to use Gabriel's new invention to keep them alive by reincarnating themselves into the new bodies of the Hosts. To do this, the Primes began their lies and a cult of personality in Sanctum to trick people into believing them as gods and giving up their bodies as a sacrifice through a ceremony known as Naming Day. Every year, the Primes use the mind-wiping serum to erase the Hosts' consciousness and then implant the Mind Drives into the back of their heads. They used the Mind Drives to keep them alive inside the Hosts after each deaths from old age.
Because of this inhumane actions of the Primes, Gabriel becomes guilt-ridden by his new invention as it was implied that the Mind Drive was meant to resurrect those who died in the first Red Sun eclipse just for one time only. To stop the Primes, Gabriel defects from Sanctum and founded the Children of Gabriel.
|Red Sun Rising||Absent|
|The Children of Gabriel||Absent|
|The Face Behind the Glass||Appears|
|The Gospel of Josephine||Appears|
|The Old Man and the Anomaly||Appears|
|What You Take With You||Absent|
|Ashes to Ashes||Appears|
|The Blood of Sanctum||Appears|
Notes and Trivia Edit
- This is the third type of mind interacting chips shown in the series. The first were the City of Light Keys created by A.L.I.E. and the second was A.L.I.E. 2.0, a.k.a. the Flame, created by Becca Franco.
- Chronologically, Mind Drives were created before the other two chips.
- Clarke Griffin has utilized all three, albeit unwillingly in the case of the Mind Drive.
- Unlike A.L.I.E., which is a true artificial intelligence (machine intelligence), the Mind Drives store a real person's consciousness.
- Josephine's Mind Drive was stored in Simone's necklace until Josephine's consciousness was placed into a new host.
- It took Gabriel Santiago 25 years to jailbreak the Mind Drive.
- A person's mind can be deleted from the Mind Drive. Simone deleted the Lee family from their mind drives. Clarke was also able to destroy Josephine's consciousness after their Mindspaces had combined.
- Marcus Kane was the first non-Prime to have been resurrected using the technology.
- According to Russell Lightbourne in "The Blood of Sanctum," the Mind Drives can be accessed wirelessly.
- However, as the Primes were planning to access the Drives of the teams on the other planets, this would more likely be their original Memory Drives.
- Clarke Griffin, John Murphy and Emori were implanted with Mind Drives in "Adjustment Protocol," Murphy and Emori as they were to become Primes and Clarke because she's supposedly Josephine Lightbourne in need of a new Mind Drive.
- There were 13 Mind Drives on Sanctum belonging to each of the Primes and Gabriel .
- 5 of the Drives belonging to Miranda Mason, Jasmine Mason, Caleb Mason, Victor Lee and Simone Lightbourne are lost in space.
- 1 of the Drives belonging to Josephine Lightbourne has no mind contained and was most likely disposed of by Gabriel.
- 3 of the Drives belonging to Kaylee Lee, Daniel Lee and Faye Lee were erased but are currently implanted in Emori, John Murphy and Clarke
- 2 of the Drives belonging to Priya Desai and Ryker Desai's Mind Drives still contain their minds but are not in anyone's body.
- 2 of the Drives belonging to Russell Lightbourne and Gabriel Santiago are the only Mind Drives that contain a mind that are currently in a body.
See Also Edit
- A.L.I.E. 2.0, a.k.a. the Flame
- City of Light Key
- Becca Franco, the creator of the first Memory Drives