|“||The key is a fully developed brain. Once the adult host's consciousness is gone, the mind stored in the drive uploads with ease.||”|
|— Gabriel Santiago [src]|
Mind Drives, formerly known as the Memory Drives, are cybernetic implants used in Sanctum to transfer the consciousness and memory of Primes from host to host. This technology is also referred to as the "Miracle of Sanctum" by the citizens. These implants were reversed-engineered by Gabriel Santiago, whose work and research was used and taken advantage of by the Primes. The Primes wanted to use the Mind Drives to keep them alive forever by implanting the Mind Drives into the bodies of their new Hosts, after each deaths from old age. They wanted to use the Mind Drives to keep themselves in power as the immortal rulers of Sanctum, forever. The consciousness inside the Mind Drives can also be deleted.
In 2045, after some of the members of the Mission Team Alpha, were killed by Russell Lightbourne, who was affected by the toxin-induced psychosis caused by the Red Sun eclipse, Russell and Dr. Gabriel Santiago began to use the Memory Drives to reverse-engineer these implants into a new technology, known as the Mind Drives, in order to resurrect those who were killed. After 25 years of failed tests, they successfully brought back Josephine Lightbourne, using fully grown human embryos with Nightblood. Due to this success, those who were killed were also brought back in the new bodies, using Mind Drives.
For hundreds of years, the newly-resurrected members of the Mission Team Alpha, also known as the Primes, decides to use Gabriel's new invention to keep them alive by reincarnating themselves into the new bodies of the Hosts. To do this, the Primes began their lies and a cult of personality in Sanctum to trick people into believing them as gods and giving up their bodies as a sacrifice through a ceremony known as Naming Day. Every year, the Primes use the mind-wiping serum to erase the Hosts' consciousness and then implant the Mind Drives into the back of their heads. They used the Mind Drives to keep them alive inside the Hosts after each deaths from old age. They also want to use the Mind Drives to remain in power as the rulers of Sanctum, forever.
Because of this inhumane actions of the Primes, Gabriel becomes guilt-ridden by his new invention as it was implied that the Mind Drive was meant to resurrect those who died in the first Red Sun eclipse just for one time only. To stop the Primes, Gabriel defects from Sanctum and founded the Children of Gabriel.
|Red Sun Rising||Absent|
|The Children of Gabriel||Absent|
|The Face Behind the Glass||Appears|
|The Gospel of Josephine||Appears|
|The Old Man and the Anomaly||Appears|
|What You Take With You||Absent|
|Ashes to Ashes||Appears|
|The Blood of Sanctum||Appears|
|From the Ashes||Appears|
|Welcome to Bardo||Absent|
|The Queen's Gambit||Absent|
Notes and Trivia Edit
- This is the third type of mind interacting chips shown in the series. The first were the City of Light Keys created by A.L.I.E. and the second was A.L.I.E. 2.0, a.k.a. the Flame, created by Becca Franco.
- Chronologically, Mind Drives were created before the other two chips.
- Clarke Griffin has utilized all three, albeit unwillingly in the case of the Mind Drive.
- Unlike A.L.I.E., which is a true artificial intelligence (machine intelligence), the Mind Drives store a real person's consciousness.
- It took Gabriel Santiago 25 years to jailbreak the Mind Drive.
- A person's consciousness can be deleted from the Mind Drive and a different consciousness can be written onto the Mind Drive.
- Simone Lightbourne deleted the Lee family from their Mind Drives. Those four Mind Drives went to John Murphy, Emori, Clarke, and Kane. Murphy and Emori have taken Daniel's and Kaylee's names, presumably taking their Mind Drives. Clarke and Kane would then have been left with Faye's and Victor's Mind Drives.
- Josephine removed herself from her Mind Drive when she hung on inside of Clarke's mind using her neural mesh which had been created by the City of Light Key. Her consciousness was killed by Clarke while her Mind Drive is now empty.
- Sheidheda uploaded himself to Russell Lightbourne's Mind Drive and then deleted Russell from it by killing the Prime in their shared Mindspace.
- There were thirteen Mind Drives sent to Sanctum with Mission Team Alpha.
- Four Mind Drives are currently in use, but only one by the original owner, Gabriel. The other three are being used by Murphy, Emori, and Clarke.
- Five Mind Drives were floated and permanently lost in space. Clarke floated Simone and the three Masons. Kane, who had received one of the Lee's wiped Mind Drives, was floated by his own request.
- Priya Desai's Mind Drive was smashed by Russell.
- Ryker Desai's Mind Drive still contains his mind. It was last seen given to Priya, but it is unclear what happened to it afterwards.
- Josephine's Mind Drive is empty and is currently in Gabriel's possession.
- Russell's Mind Drive is surgically removed to prevent Sheidheda from ever being able to resurrect again.
- Besides Sanctum, Eligius III went to four other planets, sending mission teams to each. Each team member had a Memory Drive.
- According to Russell in "The Blood of Sanctum," the Mind Drives can be accessed wirelessly.
- Since the Primes were planning to access the drives of the teams on the other planets, this would mean their original Memory Drives could be accessed wirelessly.
- Sheidheda used this wireless capacity to upload himself onto Russell's Mind Drive.
See Also Edit
- A.L.I.E. 2.0, a.k.a. the Flame
- City of Light Key
- Becca Franco, the creator of the first Memory Drives