|“||You’re right. Your friend Monty gave you a second chance. But, now what? Salvation comes from faith and good works. What you do, not what you say. You haven’t done anything yet.||”|
|— Miles Shaw to Clarke Griffin [src]|
Shaw was the original pilot for the Gagarin and an Eligius IV crew member who helped Charmaine Diyoza take over the ship. He was aboard the Gagarin when it landed on Earth in the Season 4 finale. Throughout Season Five, his loyalties change and he betrays the prisoners to help Spacekru and Wonkru.
Shaw grew up in Saginaw, Michigan, US, a city two hours outside of Detroit, Michigan. He used to drive a Harley motorcycle. He also used to serve in a church as an altar boy.
In "Acceptable Losses" Shaw reveals that when he was a kid, after the "Battle of San Francisco," he watched the television, showing the evacuation of thousands of refugees being packed into aircraft carriers, and seeing soldiers pushing helicopters overboard to make more room. One of the soldiers giving the orders was Charmaine Diyoza.
On April 4, 2047, he was an employee on board the Eligius IV. During the mining operation, when he and his crew reported that the prisoners were getting sick, the Eligius Corporation had a different option; they decide to start "Order 11," which would abandon the prisoners on an asteroid and bring home the Hythylodium. His captain agreed, but Shaw did not, which led to the shock collars being deactivated, causing a mutiny on the ship and the Asteroid Mining Penal Colony. He agreed to help Charmaine Diyoza take over the ship, if she spared his life.
Throughout the Series
In Sanctum, Shaw is one of the select few woken up from cryostasis to listen to Monty's message about the new habitable world he found. He comforts Raven who is having a hard time dealing with Monty and Harper's deaths as well as Clarke and Abby's betrayal. After that, they attend a landing strategy meeting in which Shaw is designated as the pilot to fly the first group to the ground, leaving Raven behind. After landing and exploring for a while, Shaw helps Clarke deal with her guilt by advising her to atone through actions.
Right afterwards, the group is attacked by a swarm of mysterious bugs. They run away, looking for shelter and come across an electric tower with radiation barriers used to kill the bugs. When Murphy lurks behind, Shaw tries to save him but accidentally gets within the electric/radiation barriers. He gets burned by the radiation. The rest of the crew tries to save him but it's too late. Before dying, Shaw asks them to tell Raven that she deserves happiness. He dies shortly after.The Blood of Sanctum, after getting past the lockdown on the Eligius IV mess hall, Clarke states that she used Shaw's failsafe code.
Shaw is a "cocky space explorer," who willingly joined a mining mission to uncover the "secrets of the universe." He is defensive and brave when talking to Paxton or Vinson. He is also shown to have a kind heart.
Shaw is a biracial man. He has brown eyes and a shaved head, he also has a short mustache.
|How We Get to Peace||Appears|
|Sic Semper Tyrannis||Appears|
|The Warriors Will||Absent|
|The Dark Year||Appears|
|Damocles (Part 1)||Appears|
|Damocles (Part 2)||Appears|
|Red Sun Rising||Mentioned|
|The Children of Gabriel||Mentioned|
|The Face Behind the Glass||Mentioned|
|The Gospel of Josephine||Absent|
|The Old Man and the Anomaly||Absent|
|What You Take With You||Absent|
|Ashes to Ashes||Absent|
|The Blood of Sanctum||Mentioned|
|From the Ashes||Absent|
|Welcome to Bardo||Absent|
|The Queen's Gambit||Absent|
|A Little Sacrifice||Absent|
|A Sort of Homecoming||Absent|
|The Dying of the Light||Absent|
|The Last War||Absent|
- Miles Shaw to Clarke Griffin: "Come on. What harm can come from telling me your name? Well, believe it or not, this is the best conversation I've had in over a hundred years. I was an altar boy in a church just like this. Saginaw, about two hours outside Detroit. On my Harley, I'd make it in one. God, I miss that bike... More than I miss most of the people."
- -- in Sleeping Giants
- Raven Reyes: "So what if Diyoza questions your loyalty? How could you be loyal to someone who collars people like animals, tortures them, someone who killed your crew? I saw her file. She murdered hundreds of innocent people, blew up government buildings just because she didn't like their policies. Shaw, you're good. I can see it in your eyes."
- Miles Shaw: "When I was a kid after the Battle of San Francisco, I watched the evacuation on TV, thousands of refugees being packed into aircraft carriers. I remember seeing soldiers pushing helicopters overboard just to make more room, and Diyoza was there. She was the one giving the orders. The machines were expendable, but the people weren't, but up in space when we reported that the miners were getting sick, Eligius saw it differently. Order Eleven came down... "Bring home the hythylodium. Leave the prisoners," like they were garbage. Captain Stevens agreed, and I didn't."
- Raven Reyes: "You deactivated the shock collars."
- Miles Shaw: "So, you see, Diyoza's not as bad as you think, and I'm not as good as you hoped."
- -- in Acceptable Losses
- 1 Eligius Prisoner (strangled to death to save Raven Reyes, Echo, Emori and John Murphy)
- 1 Eligius Prisoner (slammed on the head with his gun to save Raven Reyes, Echo, Emori and John Murphy)
- Virgil (shot during the final showdown with Paxton McCreary)
Notes and Trivia
- His character was announced on August 18, 2017.
- Shaw was the only non-prisoner survivor of Charmaine Diyoza's uprising aboard the Eligius IV in 2047. That made him the only non-prisoner aboard the Eligius IV on its journey to Earth and on Gagarin in "Eden". It also made him chronologically the oldest non-prisoner.
- His character was originally named "Zeke Shaw" but got renamed for legal reasons.
- After fans tweets, Jason Rothenberg agreed to have "Ezekiel" (which Zeke is diminutive of) be Shaw's middle name. This makes Shaw the first character on The 100 with a known middle name. However, his middle name has never been used in the series – the first character whose middle name was stated in the series is Jordan Green, the second is Josephine Lightbourne and the third is Blythe Ann Workman.
- Ivana Milicevic revealed in an interview that Shaw was a Navy Seal, just like Diyoza. It was never confirmed on the show, but Diyoza refers to Shaw as Lieutenant. 
- Shaw was the pilot for the Eligius IV mission.
- He shows some possible knowledge of Sanctum at one point while talking about Eligius III and Nightblood, quipping "two suns, no sunscreen."
|To edit this gallery, go to Miles Shaw/Gallery.|
To review image policies, go to Media Guidelines. Note, the images go in episode order.
- File:The 100 5x07 Sneak Peek 2 "Acceptable Losses" (HD) Season 5 Episode 7 Sneak Peek 2
- 'The 100' season 5 casts Jordan Bolger as Eligius member Zeke Shaw, Hypable