|“||I'm not a child anymore, Clarke. I'm the Commander, and my people are dying.||”|
|— Madi to Clarke [src]|
Madi Griffin is a recurring character in the fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh seasons. She was portrayed by actress Imogen Tear in her debut appearance in "Praimfaya". Beginning with "Eden", she is portrayed by actress Lola Flanery.
Madi is a young Nightblood who runs into Clarke in Eden as the only Praimfaya survivors on the ground. After gaining each other's trust, Clarke takes Madi under her wings and raises her as her own child. Clarke trains Madi how to fight to defend herself.
After six years in the valley, Madi and Clarke are separated when Diyoza and the prisoners arrive in the Gagarin and kidnap Clarke. Madi hides in the forest until the Spacekru arrives. She goes with them to the Bunker where she finally meets Octavia. After learning that Madi is a nightblood and a potential Commander, Octavia starts training Madi to be her second. However, Clarke doesn't want Madi to become a Commander because it puts her in danger. Unhappy with Octavia's leadership, the Grounders with Bellamy's help, organize for Gaia the Flamekeeper to give Madi the Flame, making her a Commander against Clarke's wish. Madi is kidnapped by Clarke and taken to the valley by force as part of Clarke's deal with Diyoza to betray Octavia. Madi is angry with Clarke for betraying her people in the name of protecting her. She says that as a Commander, it's her job to protect her people. She sneaks out with Raven and Echo to lead Wonkru to victory in the Battle for Eden. After the Earth is destroyed, Madi and the rest of the survivors go into cryogenic sleep for 125 years. Before going into cryosleep, Madi reconciles with Clarke, who now made amends with the group and rejoins them.
Upon arrival in the new habitable world, Clarke wants to keep Madi in cryostasis, to then wake her up later, but Madi was woken up to help stop the hijackers in the ship. Eventually, Madi rejoins Clarke and their friends in Sanctum. Since she is a Host (Nightblood), Madi is a target for both the Children of Gabriel, who is a threat to the "royal" blood, and the Primes who want to use her as a host. Therefore, she has to make sure no one finds out she's a Nightblood. The Primes eventually find out but spare her from being a host immediately, since there is a great risk of failure in hosts biologically younger than 21. After their plans to eventually use her are foiled, Madi is reunited with Clarke, who is no longer a host to Josephine Prime.
Early Life Edit
Madi was born on Earth and is a member of the Shallow Valley Clan. She is a Nightblood and was orphaned as the second Praimfaya plagued the Earth. Madi's mother died in her arms, during this event.
58 days after Praimfaya, she met Clarke. Thinking that Clarke is a Flamekeeper scout, Madi led Clarke into a trap and attacked her. However, after realizing that Clarke is also a Nightblood, Madi stopped the attack and ran away. Overnight, Madi stole Clarke's possessions. The next morning, Clarke found Madi spearfishing in a nearby creek, but Madi once again runs away from her. Later, Clarke manages to lure Madi by drawing an image of her.
Over the next six years, Madi and Clarke's relationship continues to develop and they form a daughter-mother bond. Clarke teaches Madi to speak English, drive the rover, and about the 100's history.
Throughout the Series Edit
In Praimfaya, Madi is asleep in the rover and is later woken up by Clarke. Upon being woken up, she expects to finally meet Clarke's friends from the Ark but is confused when she sees the Eligius Corporation ship fly in instead. Clarke tells her that it is not her friends and tells her to get the rover out of sight and to load the guns.
She is an energetic girl, shouting and jumping at the spaceship. She finds lessons exhausting but is generally obedient to Clarke. Madi is shown to deeply care about Clarke, trying to help her against the Eligius prisoners multiple times. Madi is at first cautious about killing the Eligius prisoners, but she is well trained in combat. She is fierce and objects when Clarke tries to hide and protect her. She easily trusts Bellamy and the other Skaikru. She sees Octavia as her hero and was very excited to meet her. She wants to impress Octavia and goes to her regardless of Clarke's objections. Madi is also shown to be forgiving – she offers Ethan a hand after beating him even though he previously mocked her.
Physical Appearance Edit
Madi has pale skin, braided dark brown hair and blue-green eyes. She is seen wearing Grounder clothing.
- Main article: Clarke and Madi
Madi and Clarke have a figurative mother-daughter relationship. They have a strong bond and both acknowledge that they love each other. They lived together for six years on the ground, isolated from all other humans. During this time, Clarke told Madi stories of her friends and the pair shared a home and many meals. Clarke acts like a mother towards Madi and is willing to protect Madi regardless of costs. During season 5, Clarke lied towards a lot of people, including allies, to protect Madi. She told everyone that Madi was made a Nightblood by a bone marrow transfer instead of the truth, that Madi has been born a Nightblood. Though Madi defies Clarke a few times during the season, as normal teens do against their parents, she also cares deeply about Clarke and is willing to take the Flame in an effort to save Clarke's life.
|Heavy Lies the Crown||Absent|
|The Four Horsemen||Absent|
|A Lie Guarded||Absent|
|The Tinder Box||Absent|
|We Will Rise||Absent|
|Die All, Die Merrily||Absent|
|The Other Side||Absent|
|How We Get to Peace||Appears|
|Sic Semper Tyrannis||Appears|
|The Warriors Will||Appears|
|The Dark Year||Appears|
|Damocles (Part 1)||Appears|
|Damocles (Part 2)||Appears|
|Red Sun Rising||Appears|
|The Children of Gabriel||Appears|
|The Face Behind the Glass||Appears|
|The Gospel of Josephine||Appears|
|The Old Man and the Anomaly||Appears|
|What You Take With You||Absent|
|Ashes to Ashes||Appears|
|The Blood of Sanctum||Appears|
|From the Ashes||Appears|
|Welcome to Bardo||Mentioned|
|The Queen's Gambit||Appears|
|A Little Sacrifice||TBD|
- Madi Griffin: "Die Flamekeeper!"
- — Eden
- Madi Griffin: "Put the gun down Joroum. You are Joroum from Sangedakru, son of Lisbeth from Sangedakru. You served with honor, as the royal guard of Lexa kom Trikru. You believed in her, now believe in me."
- — Sic Semper Tyrannis
- Madi Griffin: "First, tell me what happened to Clarke."
- — Red Sun Rising
Killed Victims Edit
- Eligius prisoner Baines (shot to save Clarke)
- Eligius prisoner Falk (speared to save Bellamy, Echo, Monty, Harper, and Emori)
- Eligius prisoner Harris (shot to save Bellamy, Echo, Monty, Harper, and Emori)
- Eligius prisoner Nash (throat slit)
- Faye (shot)
- Miranda's boyfriend (throat slit)
- Miranda Mason VIII (knife stabbed through center of neck, under Sheidheda's influence)
Notes and Trivia Edit
- Madi met Clarke 58 days after the second Praimfaya.
- Madi has been living with Clarke for over five years in 2156.
- In the Season Five Comic-Con trailer, Madi retells the story of the 100's history. She called the delinquents "bad children" and their adversaries—which included Grounders, Mountain Men, A.L.I.E., and the death wave—"monsters".
- Madi is the third character to have been recast. The first was Council Member #1 and the second was Ethan Hardy.
- Imogen Tear announced on her Twitter that she would appear in the Season Four finale as Madi a few days before the episode aired.
- Lola Flanery tweeted a video of the Comic Con season 5 promo, with the caption "Want me to tell you a story?" On August 15, 2017, it was confirmed that she was recast as Madi for Season Five.
- Madi's name is misspelled as "Maddie" in the credits of the episode "Praimfaya".
- Madi and Gaia are the only characters that were introduced in Season Four who are known to be still alive.
- It was revealed in "Damocles (Part 2)" that Clarke's last name, "Griffin", was given to Madi which was shown on the screen as she was put into cryosleep.
- She is the first Commander whose region isn't Earth since after the Damocles bomb, the survivors left Earth for a new habitable world.
- Chronologically, Madi is 137 years old, making her the oldest known Commander.
- She is chronologically older than Jordan Green but younger biologically.
- She is named after Madison, Wisconsin, US.
- Madi is the first Commander that became an ex-Commander.
- Madi was seen drawing the anomaly stone, presumably from Becca's memories.
|To edit this gallery, go to Madi Griffin/Gallery.|
To review image policies, go to Media Guidelines. Note, the images go in episode order.
See Also Edit
- ↑ http://www.thedailyshuffle.com/lola-flanery-talks-the-100/
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Hypable/status/977500525989068801
- ↑ The 100 finale: What happened in the last five minutes?, Entertainment Weekly
- ↑ 'The 100' Boss Discusses "Full Circle" Finale, Time Jump and Endgame, The Hollywood Reporter
- ↑ 'The 100' Season 5 Spoilers: Who Is Madi? EP Jason Rothenberg Teases Clarke's Fate, International Business Times
- ↑ File:The 100 - Comic-Con® 2017 Video - The CW
- ↑ Tear, Imogen (22 May 2017) Tweet - @ImogenTear
- ↑ Flanery, Lola (3 Aug 2017) Tweet - @LolaFlanery
- ↑ https://twitter.com/JRothenbergTV/status/994569050901561345