|“||Not everything that's miraculous is a miracle.||”|
|— Josephine to Russell [src]|
Josephine Ada Lightbourne was a recurring character in the sixth and seventh seasons. She was portrayed by actresses Sara Thompson, Skylar Radzion, Gwynyth Walsh and Eliza Taylor and debuted in "Red Sun Rising". She served as one of the two main antagonists of Season Six, alongside Russell Lightbourne.
Josephine was one of Sanctum's Primes. She was one of the original Alpha colonists. Using a Mind Drive and Royal Blood hosts, Josephine was reborn seven times. Her last host was Clarke Griffin. After a struggle with Clarke for control of her body, Josephine's mind was destroyed by Clarke for good.
In December 2043, she and her friend Olivia were in a diner in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, when her stalker Dave came in and shot himself in the head because she ignored him. This left Josephine horrified. She originally was not going to go with her parents on the Mission, but this event caused her to go.
Josephine and her parents went aboard Eligius III to travel to the moon Alpha. They arrived there in 2045 and were original members of Mission Team Alpha. Josephine was one of the biologists for the team. She was in charge of classifying lifeforms on their new world. It was Josephine who suggested naming the place "Sanctum" - the Latin-root for sanctuary.
On day 21 of the mission, the team endured an eclipse of the two suns. Unknown to them, the eclipse triggers the release of a psychosis-inducing toxin from the plants. Josephine was killed by her father, who was suffering from the psychosis.
The pain of losing Josephine pushed her father and her boyfriend, Gabriel Santiago, to start exploring ways to bring her back. In 2070, after 25 years of failed experiments, Gabriel was able to figure out how to use the Mind Drives to bring their loved ones back by uploading their entire consciousness into a host with black blood. Josephine was the first person to be brought back using this technology. Gabriel, who had terminal cancer by the time Josephine was resurrected, died soon afterwards and Josephine brought him back as she couldn't bear to lose Gabriel.
Throughout the Series
Josephine is a biologist. She is multilingual, speaking at least three foreign languages: German, Portuguese, and Mandarin. In her first appearance, she seemed pretty optimistic and generally happy to be where she was. She was also very smart. As seen while hosting Clarke's body she seems to really enjoy music and painting.
In reality however, she is cold, greedy, manipulative and a corrupt, supremacist. She believed in Nightblood and Prime supremacy, going as far as to sacrifice babies who don't have Nightblood. She is also very vengeful and is willing to kill people who meant a lot to her, such as Kaylee thus revealing that she cares only for herself. Despite the fact that she is just a human, she as well as the rest of the Primes, presents herself to the people of Sanctum as a savior and goddess.
As one of the Primes, Josephine has a dim view of those beneath her. She is willing to do whatever it takes to survive, unwilling to give Clarke Griffin up as a host even though she could potentially gain a willing host and give Clarke her life back. Josephine is willing to go so far as blackmail to get what she wants. However, she doesn't appear to be a good fighter as she relies on blackmail and threats when confronted by Clarke's friends and had to relinquish control to Clarke to escape decapitation even though she was unchained. Unlike Josephine, Clarke was able to easily break free and told Bellamy that Josephine chose to give her control so that she could save them. Josephine admitted to being impressed with Clarke's skill at fighting afterwards. When she tried to kill Clarke for the last time, Josephine chose to slit her throat and gloat rather than going for an immediate killing blow as Clarke did, giving Clarke the chance to kill her. Josephine, satisfied that she had won, also made the mistake of tossing her weapon next to Clarke who was then able to use it against Josephine.
As she goes through her old memories with Clarke, Josephine shows a softer side to herself, particularly in her interactions with her memories of Gabriel. In one such moment, Josephine admits that she wasn't always the person she has become, apparently remorseful for some of things she has done. Clarke recognizes and sympathizes with this and suggests that they can define who they are instead of letting the bad things define who they are. Earlier, when Clarke viewed the memory of Josephine's previous death, Kaylee Lee stated that Josephine didn't used to be so cruel as to sacrifice Null children to the Offering Grove and seemed shocked by Josephine's change in personality for the worse.
However Josephine didn't believe her people and Clarke's people would peacefully coexist despite apparently taking somewhat of a liking to Clarke. Choosing to be the 'savior' of Sanctum lead to her final death.
In her original body she had semi-long blonde hair, brown eyes, and fair skin, with a slim figure.
In "Red Sun Rising", Josephine is shown to be in a relationship with Gabriel Santiago, but their relationship ended when he disagreed with the Primes' own ways and, possibly due to Josephine's true nature.
In "Matryoshka," Clarke and Josephine watch a memory of Josephine and Gabriel together after both of their first resurrections. In the memory, Josephine promises to love Gabriel forever while the current Josephine becomes emotional at seeing it, showing that she truly does still love Gabriel. When she is finally reunited with Gabriel in the present, Josephine attempts to talk him into removing their Mind Drives and growing old together and dying in their current bodies which he refuses to do. However, Josephine is happy when she learns that Gabriel doesn't hate her as she had thought and instead loves her right up until the end.
In "The Garden," Gabriel reveals that he had kept Josephine's Mind Drive after her death in order to be sure that she was truly gone.In "Blood Giant," the Red Sun eclipse causes Gabriel to hallucinate Josephine again who acts like a projection of his subconscious, pointing out things that Gabriel instinctively knows such as using Eligius tech to repair the Flame and pushing him to become the hero of the Disciples. After Gabriel comes to his senses, he takes the anti-toxin so as to not have Josephine tempt him any more despite her pleas that Gabriel needs her.
Ryker's Keep that she stabbed her recent host, but it's heavily implied it was payback for ending the last life of her host.
- Main article: Clarke and Josephine
|Red Sun Rising||Flashback|
|The Children of Gabriel||Mentioned|
|The Face Behind the Glass||Appears|
|The Gospel of Josephine||Appears|
|The Old Man and the Anomaly||Appears|
|What You Take With You||Appears|
|Ashes to Ashes||Mentioned|
|The Blood of Sanctum||Mentioned|
|From the Ashes||Mentioned|
|Welcome to Bardo||Absent|
|The Queen's Gambit||Mentioned|
|A Little Sacrifice||Absent|
|A Sort of Homecoming||Absent|
|The Dying of the Light||Mentioned|
|The Last War||Mentioned|
- Josephine Lightbourne: "No insect sounds. 10:1 it's the eclipse. Think about it. Animal behavior on Earth is affected by them, too. Crickets go silent when they feel threatened, right before they swarm."
- -- in Red Sun Rising
- Delilah: "We call it-"
- Blythe Ann: "Delilah..."
- Delilah: "Oh Relax mother, I don't think they'll steal your recipe. We call it 'Jo Juice' after Josephine Prime. Hallowed be her Name."
- Blythe Ann, Guards and Jae: "Hallowed be her Name."
- -- in The Children of Gabriel
- Russell Lightbourne and Simone Lightbourne: "Josie!"
- Josephine Lightbourne: "What, she killed me first. Now I'm going to go take a shower, and get out of this hideous dress."
- -- in The Gospel of Josephine
- Josephine Lightbourne: "My father was a fool for letting you people stay. All that time spent building a sanctuary for the human race, and he destroys it because of the most human thing of all... love."
- -- in What You Take With You
- Josephine Lightbourne: "Take you and Clarke for instance. Now that's a weird relationship, isn't it? First you want to kill her to save your own ass, even though it means the genocide of your own people on the Ark and then you become besties, bonding over the actual genocide at Mount Weather. Together. You lock her up, she locks you up, you leave her on Earth, she leaves you to die in the fighting pits. I mean, it's exhausting frankly."
- Bellamy Blake: "Tell me about it."
- -- in What You Take With You
- Bellamy Blake: "Don't do this, please. The drive in her head, its Josephine."
- Josephine Lightbourne: "Not helping!"
- Bellamy Blake: "Think! As long as she's alive, you have leverage over Russell."
- Children of Gabriel member: "This is not a negotiation, it's a war. And it ends with death to Primes."
- Clarke Griffin (suddenly taking control): "Wait! Gabriel loves her. Is this what he would want?"
- Children of Gabriel member: "Don't you use his name!"
- -- in What You Take With You
- Clarke Griffin: "Gabriel, my name is Clarke Griffin. Josephine Lightbourne is in my head. If you can hear this, we're coming to you."
- -- in What You Take With You
- Josephine Lightbourne: "Geeze. Fine. I'll drive. But for that you do have to give me back control. Clarke you don't know how to... (Clarke starts the motorcycle) What else of mine have you stolen?"
- Clarke Griffin (in Mandarin): "Sucks, doesn't it? (可怜，对吗)"
- -- in What You Take With You
- Isaac (throat slit)
- Tai Jr. (sacrificed to the Offering Grove)
- Kaylee Lee VII (stabbed in the neck)
- Lee Family (indirect; forced her mother Simone to wipe their Mind Drives)
Notes and Trivia
- In "Red Sun Rising", she is called Josephine Ada Lightbourne by her father. This makes her the second person in the series with their middle name stated in the series, the first being Jordan Jasper Green. Her full name can also be seen on the books containing Josephine's memories in her Mindspace in "Nevermind."
- Josephine suggested the name "Sanctum" for Alpha, the latin root for "sanctuary".
- A drink that was named after her is called "Jo Juice". Blythe Ann is supposedly the recipe holder.
- An edible fruit, called "Joberry", was named after her.
- A pie was also named after her, called "Joberry Pie".
- When she was drugged in her sixth host, Josephine was supposedly drinking "Jo Juice" before she realized the truth.
- She wrote several books:
- She doesn't know Trigedasleng, which made her vulnerable to others finding out her parents killed Clarke, when she was inhabiting Clarke's body. Bellamy finds out when she asks him to repeat his last phase in Trig, and drugs him. She also didn't know Morse code or even recognize its use by Clarke to communicate with Bellamy, but she later gained the knowledge after her and Clarke's minds began to combine and they could access each others knowledge of various things for their own purposes.
- She calls John Murphy "John" in front of several: Bellamy, Gaia, Jordan and Madi, they all look confused when she does this - though no-one says anything. When she later calls him John a second time, he figures out she is not Clarke. When Clarke calls him Murphy in "Adjustment Protocol," he realizes that it's Clarke and not Josephine for the same reason and informs Clarke that Josephine had only ever called him "John."
- She thinks John Murphy is "kinda cute" and revealed her "true self" to him by revealing Clarke is dead and she now inhabits her body - before he can tell anyone, she offers him what he wants most: immortality. He accepts, showing she was right about him.
- She is also the only person besides Emori to call him John.
- Her first unofficial host was a six month old girl and her second unofficial host was 15 year old girl, named Savannah.
- Josephine speaks Portuguese with a Spanish accent in "Memento Mori". She is also multilingual as she speaks different foreign languages, including German, and Mandarin. Clarke later steals Josephine's knowledge of Mandarin to taunt her in the language.
- Josephine shows a preference for her original body, painting a picture of her old self shortly before Kaylee Lee killed her as seen in "Nevermind." Kaylee suggests that Josephine might have an obsession with her original form.
- When Josephine appears to Clarke in both the Mindspace and the waking world, she takes on her original form rather than appearing as a duplicate of Clarke or one of her other hosts. Clarke only sees Josephine in her other hosts in the form of memories.
- Josephine died three times in the Mindspace: the first time Clarke bashed her head in, the second time Josephine purposefully shocked herself to death using the Eligius shock collar Clarke put on her through a projection of Maya Vie and the last was her final death.
- The first two times, Josephine was restored by her Mind Drive as she would've been if her host had died.
- Ironically Josephine's first and last deaths occur in the exact same manner: axed to death by Russell Lightbourne and Clarke Griffin. Due to Josephine getting the axe from the memory of her first death, she was even killed with the same weapon both times.
- In "Ashes to Ashes," it's confirmed that Josephine's Mind Drive is empty and that none of her consciousness survived in there.
- In the beginning of Season Six, Josephine's Mind Drive was stored in Simone's necklace until Josephine's consciousness was placed inside of Clarke.
- Josephine is the only character in the series to have been portrayed by four different actors.
- She was the first Prime to be portrayed by a Starring cast member.
|To edit this gallery, go to Josephine Lightbourne/Gallery.|
To review image policies, go to Media Guidelines. Note, the images go in episode order.
- From Script to Screen - Episode 604 "The Face Behind the Glass" Scene 2, The 100 Writers Room tumblr – Josephine plaque has Roman numerals 1-7 indicating previous bodies, making Clarke the eighth body
- File:S6 trailer Red Sun Rising book.jpg
- File:605 Josie's book 1.png
- File:605 Josie's book 2.png