The Coalition, also called Kongeda in Trigedasleng, was an alliance of twelve Grounder clans and the Sky People who resided in the Eastern United States. The twelve Grounder clans were first brought together by Commander Lexa to fight against Mount Weather, and the Sky People later joined as the thirteenth clan.
Since the Grounders do not use last names, their clan name is used instead. Every Grounder clan had a leader and each village within a clan had its own leader. Every clan in the Coalition followed the Commander. The clans chose their leaders differently, but most were chosen after the old leader had died. Village leaders earned his or her place at the top through acts of strength and ferocity (as in the case of Indra, the Chief of Tondc) and through mentor-ship from previous leaders. The Commander was chosen through a Conclave.
At the end of Season Four, the remaining eleven Grounder clans (all of Floukru died) and the Sky People were merged into a single clan, entitled "Wonkru". Led by Octavia Blake, they survived the Second Nuclear Apocalypse together within the Second Dawn Bunker.
Commander Lexa was responsible for uniting the twelve Grounder Clans and forming the Coalition, thus becoming the first Commander of the Coalition. Following a series of conflicts, the Coalition and the Sky People agreed to a truce, forming an alliance to fight against Mount Weather. In "Remember Me", while discussing the alliance with the Sky People, it is mentioned that Lexa is the reason all twelve clans united and without her, the Coalition would fail.
Before the Coalition, the clans had spent many years fighting each other. Azgeda in particular was long considered the biggest threat to the alliance of the twelve clans, with the clan having joined the Coalition three years prior to the events of Season Four, on the condition that their Prince was banished.
After the destruction of Mount Weather, the Coalition was shown to be highly unstable, and the clan ambassadors believed that Lexa was weak and unfit to rule. Aware she was losing control, Lexa killed an Azgeda ambassador who questioned her. Subsequently, the Coalition attempted to remove Lexa from power with a unanimous vote by all clan members, which she circumvented by convincing the Sky People to join the Coalition and become the thirteenth clan. Marcus Kane received the Coalition brand on his forearm on behalf of Chancellor Abby Griffin and the rest of the Sky People. Despite her betrayal at Mount Weather, Lexa secured their ambassador's vote in the Coalition. The other ambassadors were thus unable to proceed with her removal.
After the failed coup, Queen Nia of Azgeda challenged Lexa's position as the Coalition Commander and selected her son Roan to fight her in a Trial by Combat. Lexa won the trial, but instead of killing Roan, Lexa killed Queen Nia as she spectated the fight. She then declared Roan the new King of Azgeda.
The fracturing of the Coalition continued however, as the newly elected Chancellor of the Sky People, Charles Pike, rejected their joining of the Coalition. He, along with his group including Bellamy Blake and Hannah Green, killed the army Lexa had sent to Arkadia to prevent Azgeda from disobeying her and destroying the new clan, and with them her Coalition.
Lexa was later accidentally killed by Titus, her adviser and the spiritual leader of the Flamekeepers, and was succeeded by Ontari of Azgeda who had slaughtered the remaining Nightblood children Lexa was training to fight for the title. Meanwhile, the Arkadian Civil War ended with Pike's faction defeated and Skaikru wanting to be reinstated into the Coalition. Ontari was later possessed and killed by A.L.I.E.. After A.L.I.E. was terminated, Azgeda took over the rule of the Coalition and King Roan reinstated Skaikru as the thirteenth clan.
With the impending Second Nuclear Apocalypse, the Floukru clan were completely wiped out due to Acute Radiation Syndrome (ARS), leaving only twelve remaining clans, including Skaikru. After the Final Conclave, Octavia Blake merged the remaining eleven Grounder clans and the Sky People into one clan, called Wonkru. This new clan thus succeeded the Coalition, with Octavia as their first leader.
- Main article: Commander
The Commander, also known as Heda in Trigedasleng, is the title given to the highest-ranking Grounder and the current bearer of the Flame. The Flame itself is a cybernetic implant created by Becca Franko, who then became the Flame's first user. The title "Commander" originated from the badge on Becca's spacesuit when she descended to Earth from Polaris two years after the Nuclear Apocalypse. After her death, she became a martyr known as Bekka Pramheda ("Becca First Commander" in Trigedasleng).
Since the Flame can only be implanted within Nightbloods, they are the only ones able to become true Commanders. Grounders believe the Flame contains the "Spirit of the Commander" and that the spirit helps find the next Commander.
Under Lexa, the Commander became the leader of the Grounder Coalition of the 12 Clans.
Each clan has its own ambassador to the Coalition, who represents the clan's interests before the Commander. Besides death, a unanimous vote of the ambassadors is the only way to remove a Commander from power. According to the Boudalan ambassador in "Echoes", Polis, the Coalition's Capital, is to be ruled by the ambassadors when there is no Commander.
Known Ambassadors of the Coalition:
- Main article: Trikru
The Woods Clan, also known as People of the Woods, Trigedakru, Trikru, or Tree People, are a group of Grounders who inhabited the expanse of Virginia's woodlands. Their borders also extended to the ruins of what once was Washington, DC and near the ruins of the Lincoln Memorial. In "Remember Me", it is revealed that Lincoln's village was named Tondc, probably due to a damaged sign nearby that read "Washington DC 10 Miles." The name "Tondc" is from the five last letters in Washington DC.
- Main article: Azgeda
The Ice Nation, also known as Azgeda in Trigedasleng, is a clan that was ruled by Queen Nia and later King Roan. The Ice Nation's territory stretched for a thousand miles. It bordered Trikru territory at Sector 8, but the ice was farther to the north. This clan was in the land where the Southern Canadian and Northern U.S. borders met.
Prior to joining the Coalition, this clan had been at war with Trikru. Under Queen Nia, the Ice Nation had captured Lexa's girlfriend, Costia, thinking she had information about the Commander. They tortured, killed, and decapitated her. The Ice Nation joined the Coalition around 2147, though Nia was forced to banish her son, Roan, as part of a deal with Lexa.
Ontari, the pretender to the Commander's throne upon Lexa's death, was from the Ice Nation.
- Main article: Floukru
The Boat People, also known as Floudon Kru or Floukru, was a clan led by Luna. This clan was allied with Trikru and, according to Lincoln in "I Am Become Death", they live "east to the sea, then across it." Floukru lived on an old oil rig in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, and used boats for transportation to land.
Floukru were a pacifist clan that avoided war and violence. Lincoln had met Luna on his travels, and was going to take Octavia to Floukru in order to keep her out of the conflict between the 100 and the Grounders, though the two never made it. In "Wanheda (Part 1)", it is alluded that once the Commander placed the kill order on Lincoln's head, Luna was no longer willing to take them in.
In "The Four Horsemen", Luna became the last surviving member of the Floukru clan when the rest of her people died from radiation sickness after ingesting irradiated fish. Luna only overcame the sickness on account of her being a Nightblood. When Luna was killed by Octavia in "Die All, Die Merrily" during the Final Conclave, Floukru became extinct.
- Main article: Sangedakru
The Desert Clan, also known as Sankru or Sangedakru (sometimes misspelled "Sandgedakru"), lived in, and are named after, the desert near the Dead Zone, but are separate from the Nomadic Grounders who inhabited the Dead Zone. According to Brell, the clan's capital punishment is stoning to death.
Sheidheda was a Commander from Sangedakru, and the clan's greatest champion.
- Main article: Trishanakru
The Glowing Forest, also known as Trishana or Trishanakru, is where Ilian is from. Some members of Trishanakru have been known to decorate themselves with lines of dots tattooed onto their foreheads. Trishanakru was one of the allies Trikru called upon to help retake Polis from Azgeda.
The clan's death ritual includes securing the dead body against a tree and having radiated glowing butterflies place their larvae to make a cocoon around the body. After metamorphosis, glowing butterflies emerge from the cocoon. The butterflies give the clan their name.
The Rock Line, also known as Boudalan or Boudalankru, is the clan that was represented by the ambassador killed by Echo. Some members wear the stones of their ancestors in order to honor them. They were allied with Trikru and were willing to fight against Azgeda.
The Lake People, also known as Podakru, is where Terro was from. They were allied with Trikru against Azgeda.Notable Members:
Ouskejon Kru Edit
The Blue Cliff is also known as Ouskejon Kru and Ouska Ejon Kru.Notable Members:
The Delphi is also known as Delfikru.Notable Members:
The Plains Riders are also known as Ingranrona(kru). They were a part of the Trikru alliance during the war against Azgeda.Notable Members:
Louwoda Kliron Edit
- Main article: Louwoda Kliron Kru
The Shallow Valley is also known as Louwoda Kliron Kru. Their territory, like the clan, is called Shallow Valley, and includes the Virginia town Shenandoah. This is the clan Madi is from. The people of this clan tend to wear reds and browns, they decorate their villages with colorful cloth and weaves wrapped around trees.
- Main article: Sky People
The Sky People, also known as Skaikru, joined the Coalition as the thirteenth clan in 2150.
Known locations include:
Notes and Trivia Edit
- It was originally assumed that all Grounders were a part of the same clan. It was revealed by Lincoln, however, that there is more than one clan. A more definite number of clans is given by Gustus in "Remember Me".
- The forging of the Coalition, as well as pre-Coalition wars, involved a lot of bloodshed.
- The Coalition was brought about after Lexa forced the Ice Nation's hand.
- The Commander (Heda in Trigedasleng) is at the head of the Coalition. The title can only be assumed by Nightbloods.
- The Coalition's capital is Polis. The Commander holds court and the Coalition member ambassadors assemble there.
- Members of the Coalition are bound by a covenant and are expected to fight in its honor.
- According to the Coalition's laws, only a unanimous vote by the ambassadors or death can remove the Commander.
- The Sky People became the 13th clan in ""Ye Who Enter Here"", after Lexa initiates them into the Coalition.
- The Coalition was involved in the Coalition-Skaikru Conflicts, Mount Weather War and the Final Conclave.
- Floukru is the first clan to go extinct.
- ↑ https://twitter.com/JRothenbergTV/status/610838295614898176
- ↑ https://twitter.com/JRothenbergTV/status/633125474265206784
- ↑ http://aaronginsburg.tumblr.com/post/112269787511/aaron-love-the-show-to-pieces-question-though
- ↑ Rothenberg, Jason (14 Feb 2016) Tweet “Lexa made banishing Roan a condition of letting Ice Nation join the coalition. Only she could lift the banishment.” - @jrothenbergtv
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/48bsen/spoilers_main_rytsas_i_am_dothraki_language/d0j7iv1
- ↑ https://twitter.com/jrothenbergtv/status/695428340350451716
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Rothenberg, Jason (27 May 2015) Tweet “Heda is the boss of all 12 Grounder clans. Her own, and 11 others. Lots of blood was spilled to make that so.” - @jrothenbergtv
- ↑ http://dedalvs.tumblr.com/post/124268371123/hello-there-i-have-a-question-if-the-woods-clan
- ↑ https://twitter.com/JRothenbergTV/status/468951210129899520
- ↑ https://twitter.com/JRothenbergTV/status/615006529838682112
- ↑ "Red Queen" end credits
- ↑ Ankara says that Trikru is calling their allies for help against Azgeda in "DNR"
- ↑ Meta Station podcast: "Claire and Erin Interview Jason Rothenberg!" ~18-23 minute mark
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 "Echoes" – Indra states "Rockline, Flokru, and Broadleaf will join Trikru without question" in a war against Azgeda
- ↑ God Complex
- ↑ Swanson, Allisa (15 Feb 2017) Tweet “Terro, who grabbed Gaia's pack was Part of the Lake Clan, look closely, you can see a repurposed life vest as part of his costume.” - @allisa_s (Allisa Swanson is the costume designer for The 100.)
- ↑ https://twitter.com/JRothenbergTV/status/944294932231077889
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Hypable/status/977500525989068801
- ↑ Rothenberg, Jason (16 Aug 2015) Tweet “Q: Before the 12 clans united, did past commanders have power over all 12 clans? A: No. Lots of war before that. Even more than there is now” - @jrothenbergtv
- ↑ Rothenberg, Jason (27 Jun 2015) Tweet - @jrothenbergtv