|“||Clarke. Who we are and who we need to be to survive are very different things.||”|
|— Bellamy to Clarke.|
Clarke and Raven make contact with the Ark. Abby guides Clarke through a dangerous procedure in a desperate move to save one of their own. Meanwhile, Bellamy tries to gain answers from his newly captive Grounder. It's a race against time when the group realizes they need the Grounder's help.
Meanwhile, on the Ark, Abby is removed from the Council, and former Chancellor Diana Sydney wants her spot. Kane begins to deal with his guilt over his recent decision and Jaha reveals devastating news: not everyone on the Ark will make it down to Earth.
- Eliza Taylor as Clarke Griffin
- Paige Turco as Abigail Griffin
- Thomas McDonell as Finn Collins
- Marie Avgeropoulos as Octavia Blake
- Bob Morley as Bellamy Blake
- Christopher Larkin as Monty Green (credit only)
- Devon Bostick as Jasper Jordan (credit only)
- Isaiah Washington as Thelonious Jaha
- Henry Ian Cusick as Marcus Kane
- Katie Stuart as Zoe Monroe
- Catherine Lough-Haggquist as Council Member #1
- Sharon Taylor as Council Member #2
- Hiro Kanagawa as Council Member #3
- Bill Marchant as Senior Council Member
- Levi Meaden as Drew
- Teach Grant as Cuyler Ridley
- Primo Allon as Chief Guard
- Aaron Isaacs as Voice in the Crowd #1
- Jane Craven as Miss Lucy (credited as Voice in the Crowd #2)
- Dejan Loyola as Voice in the Crowd
- Raven Reyes (fragmented transmission): "Calling Ark station. Come -- to -- Ark station."
- Abby Griffin: "Raven. She's still alive."
- Raven Reyes: "Are you there? Please come in. I repeat, calling Ark station. The 100 are alive. Can anyone hear me?"
- Jacapo Sinclair: "This is a restricted channel. Who is this? Please identify yourself."
- Raven Reyes: "This is Raven Reyes. I'm from Mecha Station. I'm transmitting from the ground. The 100 are alive. Please, you need to get Dr. Abby Griffin. Dr. Abby Griffin, now."
- Jacapo Sinclair: "Hang on, Raven. We're trying to boost your signal. Get her off the Ark-wide channel, this room only. Copy?"
- Abby Griffin: "Can she hear me?"
- Thelonious Jaha: "Did you confirm the signal's origin?"
- Jacapo Sinclair: "Yes, sir. It's coming from Earth."
- Octavia Blake (to Bellamy): "I told you he was protecting me!"
- Thelonious Jaha (to Marcus Kane): "No more secrets!"
- Thelonious Jaha: "You are the station reps of the Ark and I don't blame you for losing faith in me. I kept the Ark's oxygen crisis from you. I lied about sending the 100 to the ground. But you can tell your stations that the deception ends here. You now know the whole truth... but there is one truth that stands above all the rest. Earth... is survivable. And the 320 souls that sacrificed their lives in the Culling gifted the rest of us the time that we need to make it to the ground. Mankind is going home."
- Cuyler Ridley: "How do we know that's everything? How do we know you're not still lying to cover up for the Culling?"
- Thelonious Jaha: "This afternoon, I declassified the minutes of all Council meetings."
- Cuyler Ridley: "Is that supposed to make us feel better? All those people died for nothing."
- Thelonious Jaha: "Please. We're all in pain."
- Cuyler Ridley: "No. No, you don't get to do that. You pushed the button that sucked the air out of my wife's lungs. You caused our pain. You know nothing about how we feel."
- Thelonious Jaha: "I lost my son!"
- Diana Sydney: "I didn't know that. I'm sorry. My friends, please. Chancellor Jaha has sacrificed as much as any of us. But his loss, just like all of yours, is not in vain. The Chancellor's son died finding out that Earth is survivable. And because of your wife's sacrifice, your daughter will get to come down to the ground. That is not in vain."
- Cuyler Ridley: "Ma'am, we can't trust them. I'm sorry."
- Thelonious Jaha: "Then trust her. As of this morning, there's an open seat on the Council. Mine to fill until the next election. We need unity now... more than ever. What do you say, Diana?" (Diana nods and amidst the cheers, exchanges nods with Ridley)
- Abby Griffin: "I am so proud of you. Clarke, your father would be so proud of you, too."
- Clarke Griffin: "Don't talk about him."
- Abby Griffin: "Clarke? Baby, I know something else is wrong. Please tell me what it is."
- Clarke Griffin (crying): "Dad's dead because of you. You turned him in. I know it. Wells told me everything before he-- He let me believe that he did it... so that I'd hate him instead of you."
- Abby Griffin (also crying): "Clarke... Clarke, I want you to listen to me. That was never supposed to happen. Jaha was supposed to talk him out of it."
- Clarke Griffin: "I'm done talking to you!" (disconnects the transmission)
- Abby Griffin: "Clarke. No."
- Octavia Blake: "I'm so sorry. You saved my life and look... look at the thanks you get. I never wanted any of this to happen to you."
- Lincoln: "Thank you."
- Nathan Miller: "Hey. He just say something?"
- Octavia Blake: "No."
- Bellamy Blake: "We'll get it cleaned up."
- Clarke Griffin: "I wish this was our only mess."
- Bellamy Blake: "Clarke. Who we are and who we need to be to survive are very different thing."
- Clarke Griffin: "What are we gonna do with him? We can't keep him locked up forever."
- Bellamy Blake: "If we let him go, he'll be back and not alone next time. It's not easy being in charge, is it?"
- Thelonious Jaha: "As a former Chancellor, no one knows more about Project Exodus than you do. The good news is that we are going to the ground. The bad news is not all of us are." (the Council looks shocked)
- Diana Sydney: "It's a problem we were supposed to have a hundred years to fix."
- Council Member: "What problem?"
- Thelonious Jaha: "There are 2,237 people on this Ark... and there are only enough dropships to carry 700. We are on the Titanic and there aren't enough lifeboats."
Notes and Trivia
- The Grounder speaks for the first time in this episode, thanking Octavia for cleaning his wounds.
- Jasper and Monty did not appear in this episode.
- It was mentioned early on in the episode that Jasper and Monty had not returned yet.
- Jasper was making gunpowder while Monty helped him and both got caught in the storm.
- Octavia gives Clarke Monty's moonshine as disinfectant.
- This, "Earth Skills" and "Etherea" are the only episodes where no one died although in "Earth Skills" a panther was killed.
- The current population of the Ark is 2,237.
- Jaha mentions the famous ship, RMS Titanic, which struck an iceberg and sank on its maiden voyage across the Atlantic Ocean. Like the Ark, there were not enough lifeboats for everybody to evacuate.
There are no deaths in this episode.
Behind the Scenes
- Octavia was correct that no germ can live in moonshine because of its high alcohol content.
- In fact, bacteria can not live in any type of alcohol.
- Contents Under Pressure attracted 1.88 million viewers on the original airing and had a ratings/share of 0.6/2 in the key 18-49 demographic.
- Bibel, Sara (May 1st, 2014) “"Wednesday Final Ratings: 'Survivor', 'American Idol' & 'Suburgatory' Adjusted Up; 'Revolution' & 'CSI' Adjusted Down"” TV by the Numbers