|“||Sir, we’re wasting time. Removing the one hundred from the population only buys us another month. Engineering needs more than that to fix those systems, if they can fix them at all.||”|
|— Commander Shumway to Kane [src]|
Throughout the Series Edit
In Pilot, after Chancellor Thelonious Jaha was shot, Commander Shumway approached Marcus Kane and told him that Bellamy was the shooter. He then tried to convince him to go along with his plan to shrink the Ark's population, but Kane decided to wait.His Sister's Keeper, at the Masquerade ball, he was present for the ID check-up, and caught Bellamy trying to smuggle Octavia out. Bellamy asked him as a fellow guardsman to overlook his deceit, but Shumway told him that he wasn't a guardseman yet and implied that his rank was too low for such a favor. Octavia was put in jail and their mother was floated after Shumway personally pushed the button. A year later he came to the now demoted janitor Bellamy offering him a deal; shoot the Chancellor and get a seat on the 100 dropship.
In Day Trip, the Delinquents are all sent to talk to their parents. Dax is sent and before being able to speak to his mother, Shumway appears. He tells Dax to kill Bellamy and his mother will get a spot on one of the dropships. Dax is set to do the task but later fails.
Later, in exchange for a pardon, Bellamy informs Jaha who hired him to kill him. Shumway is arrested and sentenced to death. While being kept in his cell, Shumway is confronted by Diana Sydney who has him killed and stages it to look like a suicide.
Shumway was a dedicated solider who followed orders of his superior Officers. He had a conniving personality that he used to influence others to break the laws of the the Ark.
Physical Appearance Edit
Shumway had black hair and brown eyes and was of Asian descent. He had a lean muscular physique and appeared to be in his mid-thirties.
|Twilight's Last Gleaming||Appears|
|His Sister's Keeper||Appears|
|Contents Under Pressure||Absent|
|I Am Become Death||Absent|
|We Are Grounders (Part 1)||Absent|
|We Are Grounders (Part 2)||Absent|
Notes and Trivia Edit
- He was presumably the highest ranking Ark Guard.
- He was a Lieutenant at the Unity Day celebration a year before the 100 got sent to the ground and a Commander when he visited Bellamy. He explained his promotion as a lot changing in a year's time.
- Both of Shumway's assassination attempts were unsuccessful.
- It is possible that he was named after writer Kim Shumway.
- Shumway was the one to push the button when Aurora Blake was floated, though he claims that he was just following orders and it wasn't personal.
- Shumway's deal with Bellamy was hinted at before he was revealed to be responsible. The people on the Ark knew Bellamy hadn't acted alone and that someone had given him the gun to shoot Jaha with, but they couldn't figure out who. In "Twilight's Last Gleaming," Bellamy stated that he had made a deal with someone, but didn't identify Shumway by name.