|“||Clarke: I love you.
Lexa: I'll always be with you.
|— Perverse Instantiation (Part 2)|
Clarke and Lexa is the relationship between Clarke Griffin and Lexa. They are portrayed by starring cast member Eliza Taylor and recurring cast member Alycia Debnam-Carey. They debut in the seventh episode of Season Two.
Clarke Griffin and Lexa started off as enemies as Clarke's people and Lexa's people were at war with each other for the entire first season and the first half of the second season. They officially met in "Long Into an Abyss", when Clarke approached Lexa in order to put aside their differences and create peace between their people.
The pair were shown to be alike in some ways, and they grew closer as they worked to save their people from a common enemy. They shared a mutual respect and the task of leadership over their allied clans, often making hard decisions together. They kissed in "Bodyguard of Lies"; however, Clarke was not ready for a relationship so soon after Finn's death under Lexa's orders. Their relationship became strained after "Blood Must Have Blood (Part 1)", when Lexa betrayed the Sky People by retreating from Mount Weather in order to save her own people.
They reunited in the third season, when Lexa had Clarke brought to Polis. As Lexa worked to bring peace to their people, Clarke forgave her and they became allies again and later lovers. Lexa's Flamekeeper, Titus, disapproved of their relationship and during an attempt to kill Clarke, shot Lexa by accident instead. Despite Clarke's desperate attempts to save her, Lexa's physical body died from her wound in "Thirteen". Because Lexa's consciousness was saved in the Flame, Clarke was able to summon Lexa to aid her in the City of Light in "Perverse Instantiation (Part 2)". Lexa protected Clarke from A.L.I.E.'s Cult, and Clarke declared her love for Lexa before they were forced to part ways once more.
Clarke continued to mourn Lexa long after her death. Josephine Lightbourne, for example, noted in "Nevermind" that Clarke still cried when she thought of Lexa, six years since her death. Other characters also brought Lexa up in conversations with Clarke, sometimes to try to sway her opinion or to taunt her.
In the fifth season, Clarke's adopted daughter, Madi Griffin, was given the Flame and Lexa's consciousness was thus able to communicate with Madi. In "Damocles (Part 1)," Lexa told Clarke, through Madi, that abandoning Clarke at Mount Weather was her biggest regret in an attempt to keep Clarke from making the same mistake. Lexa's message helped Clarke decide to do the right thing in the end, while also driving her to tears.
Throughout the Series
- Abigail Griffin (as Clarke gazes sadly at the Flame): "I know that look."
- Clarke Griffin (crying): "I loved her, Mom."
- Abigail Griffin: "I know."
- -- in Echoes
- Roan (to Clarke): "You grieve for Lexa, yet you've learned nothing from her. She was Trikru, but she rose above loyalty to clan."
- -- in The Tinder Box
- Niylah (to Clarke): "Lexa would be proud of you. We're all your people now. She believed that, too. She lives on through you."
- -- in We Will Rise
- Clarke Griffin: "Do you see her, too?"
- Madi Griffin: "I know it's why you're scared of me having the Flame."
- Clarke Griffin: "Commanders die, Madi. All of them. Badly. I won't let that happen to you."
- -- in The Warriors Will
- Madi Griffin (about taking the Flame): "I did it because I love you."
- Clarke Griffin: "I thought love was weakness. Isn't that what the Commanders in your head tell you?"
- Madi Griffin: "Yes, all but one."
- Clarke Griffin: "I think you should get some sleep."
- Madi Griffin: "I don't want to sleep. Every time I close my eyes, I see you outside the door at Mount Weather, ready for war and then I walk away, leaving you there alone."
- Clarke Griffin: "Let me translate that for you. Lexa protected her people by making a deal with the enemy, leaving Skaikru to die, yes, just like I've done here. I don't need ghosts telling me what I've lost to protect you, Madi."
- Madi Griffin: "Clarke, she's not a ghost. She's real. They all are and you're wrong about why she's showing me that memory. Betraying you is her deepest regret. She's showing me that because she doesn't want you to make the same mistake she did. Please, Clarke. I know you're scared. I am too. But I have to do this and you have to let me."
- Clarke Griffin: "Oh Madi, this is how we survive."
- Madi Griffin: "It may be, but life should be about more than just surviving."
- -- in Damocles (Part 1)
- Clarke Griffin: "You're so special, Madi. I knew it the day I met you when you led me into that bear trap. All this time, you thought I was keeping you alive, but it was you who saved me. You are Madi kom Louwoda Kilron Kru, heir to Bekka Pramheda, successor to Leksa kom Trikru. I loved her so much, but it's nothing compared to how much I love you."
- -- in Damocles (Part 1)
- John Murphy: "And who could forget Lexa? Yeah, I was tied up that night too. Just a disposable pawn in your game."
- Clarke Griffin: "That's not fair."
- -- in Red Sun Rising
- Josephine Lightbourne: "Memory is funny, you know? The formative stuff, the traumas, the things we can't move past . . . they live deep in the brain stem. These are the wounds we pay shrinks not to fix. These places control us, make us who we are. It's actually connected to the lower brain function . . . breathing, reflexes. It's why you cry when you think of Lexa."
- Clarke Griffin: "Shut up."
- -- in Nevermind
Notes and Trivia
- Clarke and Lexa are both strong leaders who happen to be very young.
- Lexa is one of the people who understands Clarke the most because, among other things, they have this in common.
- Both Lexa and Clarke lost their previous lovers.
- Lexa and Clarke have both saved each other's lives.
- Lexa saved Clarke's life three times. The first time was when she stopped her warriors from charging at Clarke in "Spacewalker". The second time was when she attacked Quint to spare Clarke's life in "Survival of the Fittest". The third time was when she fought off the chipped Grounders and Sky People who were attacking Clarke in the City of Light in "Perverse Instantiation (Part 2)".
- Clarke saved Lexa's life three times. The first time was when she saved Lexa from the Pauna in "Survival of the Fittest". The second time was when she warned Lexa about the missile that the Mountain Men were planning to launch at Tondc in "Rubicon". The third time was when she was the sole ambassador in the Coalition who did not support the vote of no confidence against Lexa in "Watch the Thrones".
- Jason Rothenberg, the creator and showrunner of The 100, as well as Eliza Taylor, who plays Clarke, have both stated that Lexa is the love of Clarke's life.
- Clarke and Lexa met on October 21, 2149. Lexa's physical body died on February 16, 2150.
- Alycia Debnam-Carey's, who plays Lexa, next major role was the character Alicia Clark in Fear the Walking Dead. Clexa shippers created a fanon character Elyza Lex to ship with Alicia Clark.. (Note the first names, Alicia and Elyza, are similar to actresses first names, Alycia and Eliza, and last names, Clark and Lex, are similar to The 100 characters' names, Clarke and Lexa.)
- Clarke and Lexa have been compared to Superman characters Clarke Kent and Lex Luthor due to similarities of first name. Clark(e) comes from space while Lex(a) is a powerful individual on Earth.
- Kass Morgan decided to give Octavia a girlfriend in the book series due to the fan response to Clarke and Lexa's relationship in the TV series.
- The first scripted line in the series was said by Clarke, while the last scripted line in the series was said by the Judge in Lexa's form.
|Relationships where one or both characters has died (or transcended).|
Bellamy and Echo • Clarke and Lexa • Clarke and Finn • Finn and Raven • Jasper and Maya • Kane and Abby • Monty and Harper • Nathan and Bryan • Octavia and Atom • Octavia and Ilian • Octavia and Lincoln • Raven and Wick • Raven and Shaw
Bellamy and Jasper • Bellamy and Lincoln • Bellamy and Maya • Bellamy and Monty • Bellamy and Murphy • Clarke and Anya • Clarke and Bellamy • Clarke and Jasper • Clarke and Monty • Clarke and Roan • Clarke and Wells • Jasper and Harper • Kane and Bellamy • Kane and Diyoza • Kane and Octavia • Monty and Jasper • Monty and Miller • Murphy and Ontari • Octavia and Diyoza • Octavia and Jasper • Octavia and Monty • Raven and Abigail • Raven and Bellamy • Octavia and Gabriel • Raven and Jasper • Raven and Sinclair