|“||I love you, Clarke. Don't ever forget that.||”|
|— Abby to Clarke [src]|
Clarke is Abigail Griffin's daughter. Before Clarke is sent down to Earth in the Pilot, Abigail tells her to be safe and that she loves her. After, Abigail closely watches over Clarke's vitals. While on Earth, Clarke learns the truth about her mother's involvement in her father's death in Earth Kills. This causes a rift between Clarke and her mother. To punish her mother for her father's death, she takes her wristband off, letting Abigail believe her to be dead. When Raven Reyes makes contact with the Ark in Contents Under Pressure, Clarke confronts her mother and tells her she knows the truth. Abigail tries to apologizes explain his death was never supposed to happen. Clarke truly believes she will never be able to forgive her mother for turning in her father. When Clarke believes her mother to be dead in the Exodus ship crash, she is devastated.
When they are reunited in Human Trials, Clarke is happy to see her but their relationship is strained. Clarke goes behind Abby's back to the point of usurping her authority on numerous occasions. Abby often disagrees with the decisions Clarke makes in regards to the people. Tensions escalate in Coup de Grâce when Clarke tells her mother that even though Abby is the Chancellor, Clarke is the one in charge. In Rubicon, when Abby finds out that Clarke knew ahead of time about the bombing of Tondc, she is appalled that her daughter would do such a thing and begs her to not forget they are the good guys. By Blood Must Have Blood (Part 2), Abby has come to realize the difficult choices her daughter has had to make are not so different than the choices she made on The Council and tells her daughter that maybe there are no good guys.
In Wanheda (Part 1) we learn that Abby has been searching for Clarke for three months, without success. Abby and Clarke are reunited in Ye Who Enter Here when Abby and Marcus Kane travel to Polis to negotiate a peace treaty. Clarke informs them that the only way to prevent a war is for Skaikru to become the thirteenth clan and be put under the command of Lexa. Their indoctrination ceremony is cut short when Azgeda blows up Mount Weather, killing several people. Abby returns to Arkadia while Clarke stays in Polis to represent Skaikru at Lexa's council. They meet again briefly in Hakeldama when Abby helps Clarke and Octavia escape Arkadia, after Clarke visited in an attempt to sway Bellamy away from Pike's influence. In Fallen Clarke sees her mother as she flees Arkadia with Jasper and an unconscious Raven. At this point Abby has taken the chip from Thelonious Jaha and joined the City of Light. Abby and Clarke do not meet again until Perverse Instantiation (Part 1) when Clarke is captured by followers of A.L.I.E.. Abby tortures Clarke so she will tell them where the A.L.I.E. 2.0 is. When she refuses Abby hangs herself in order to force a confession, Clarke still will not divulge the location of A.L.I.E. 2.0. Abby is saved by John Murphy, who cuts her down. In Perverse Instantiation (Part 2) Clarke uses the EMP to fry Abby's chip. Abby is horrified by what she has done to Clarke, but Clarke assures her that "it wasn't her". Abby helps connect Clarke to Ontari so Clarke has Nightblood in her system so that she may enter the City of Light and defeat A.L.I.E.. While Clarke is in the City of Light Abby protects her daughter, even shooting a chipped grounder. After the City of Light is destroyed Clarke tells her mother she is okay.
In Adjustment Protocol, Abby is so devastated by Clarke's apparent death that she threatens to kill Russell Lightbourne which he believes one parent to another. Abby is relieved to discover that Clarke survived, but their reunion is cut short by Russell mind wiping Abby to become the host for Simone Lightbourne. Though devastated, Clarke continues to hold out hope in The Blood of Sanctum that Abby survived through a neural mesh as she did until Russell confirms that Abby really is gone. Though Simone tries to fool Clarke into thinking she's Abby, Clarke sees through it and floats the Primes. Though Simone grabs onto Clarke, possibly giving her a chance to save Simone, Clarke accepts that her mother is truly gone and pushes Simone off of her after a moment to be floated too. Clarke later tells Bellamy that she really tried to do the right thing until she lost Abby.
Throughout the Series
In Wanheda (Part 1), it is revealed that Abby has been looking for Clarke for the three months she has been gone. However, when Kane offers to send out another search party Abby realizes "they wouldn't find [Clarke] until she's ready to be found."
In Ye Who Enter Here, Clarke and her mother are reunited. However, their time together is cut short when Clarke informs Abby that Lexa wants them to join the Coalition. Abby eventually agrees and the ceremony that brands Skaikru the thirteenth clan takes place at the summit. Once Ice Nation's threat is made clear, however, Clarke decides to stay behind with Lexa in Polis instead of returning to Arkadia with her mother.
In Hakeldama, Clarke is briefly reunited with her mother when Abby helps her and Octavia escape Arkadia.
In Perverse Instantiation (Part 1), Abby who has taken the chip tortures Clarke in exchange for the passcode for A.L.I.E 2.0. Clarke refuses to give it and Abby (under A.L.I.E.'s control) attempts to hang herself to get her daughter to talk.
In Perverse Instantiation (Part 2), Clarke uses the EMP to remove the chip from her mother. Abby is horrified over what she did to Clarke but Clarke tells her that's ok and "it wasn't [her]". Abby then helps Clarke connect to Ontari to filter her Nightblood into Clarke's system so she can take the flame. While she is in the City of Light, Abby protects her daughter even shooting a chipped grounder who tries to attack Clarke.
Notes and Trivia
- Abby had betrayed Clarke's father by getting him killed, which causes Clarke to hate her.
- Their relationship was on the rocks when Clarke knew about the missile and told no one but Lexa; Abby tells her that she crossed a line.
- Abby knows Clarke loved Lexa and accepts this as she loves her daughter and wants her to be happy.
- Clarke knows about Abby's relationship with Kane and she accepts it and is happy for her mom.
- In Season Four, they got separated for next six years without Clarke having a goodbye with her mom on radio.
- In the episode The Dark Year, when Abby reveals to Clarke that she was responsible for the Dark Year that forced people to cannibalize, Clarke forgives her and does not see her as a worst person, due to her own concerns for her family, and because of Abby's biggest remorse and her suffering from drug overdose, which makes Clarke forgive her. And also, because of Clarke's villainous personality to protect Madi Griffin. However, Clarke's actions (When Josie was in control of Clarke) have broken her in Season Six.
- The difference between Clarke hating her mother and forgiving her is that Abby got her husband floated, which killed Clarke's own family member, and Clarke forgives Abby for the Dark Year, because she saw Abby as her remaining family left, due to her own concerns for her mother, who is remorseful. Also, Abby got someone killed, who is not Clarke's family member or friend, during the Dark Year. Clarke was only mad at Abby for killing her own family member, Jake Griffin.
- Abby's body was floated by Clarke, similar to how Abby was responsible for Jake's death by floating. However, Abby's mind was gone by that time and Clarke only killed her mother's body and Simone Lightbourne's mind.
|Relationships where one or both characters has died (or likely died).|
Atom and Octavia • Clarke and Lexa • Finn and Clarke • Finn and Raven • Jasper and Maya • Kane and Abby • Monty and Harper • Nathan and Bryan • Octavia and Ilian • Octavia and Lincoln • Raven and Wick • Raven and Shaw
Bellamy and Jasper • Bellamy and Lincoln • Bellamy and Maya • Bellamy and Monty • Clarke and Anya • Clarke and Jasper • Clarke and Monty • Clarke and Roan • Clarke and Wells • Jasper and Harper • Kane and Bellamy • Kane and Diyoza • Kane and Octavia • Monty and Jasper • Monty and Miller • Murphy and Ontari • Octavia and Jasper • Octavia and Monty • Raven and Abigail • Raven and Jasper • Raven and Sinclair