|“||Maybe life should be about more than just surviving. Don't we deserve better than that?||”|
|— Clarke to Lexa|
Bodyguard of Lies is the fourteenth episode of Season Two. It is the twenty-seventh episode of the series overall.
While preparing for battle, Clarke and Lexa have a heated discussion. Desperate for help, Raven has Wick summoned to the engineering room. Jaha and Murphy encounter a perilous roadblock. Meanwhile, at Mount Weather, Bellamy is in a race against time.
- Eliza Taylor as Clarke Griffin
- Paige Turco as Abigail Griffin (credit only)
- Bob Morley as Bellamy Blake
- Marie Avgeropoulos as Octavia Blake
- Devon Bostick as Jasper Jordan (credit only)
- Lindsey Morgan as Raven Reyes
- Ricky Whittle as Lincoln (credit only)
- Christopher Larkin as Monty Green (credit only)
- Isaiah Washington as Thelonious Jaha
- Henry Ian Cusick as Marcus Kane (credit only)
Guest Starring Edit
- Harris: Hey, tell me if you know this one
- Murphy Not again, please.
- Harris: A Grounder and a Reaper walk into a bar. The bartender looks to the Grounder, he says, "We don't serve your kind around here." The Reaper gets up and leaves. [Chuckles] You get it? Reapers eat Grounders.
- Lexa: "Plans don't last very long in battle."
- Murphy (to Jaha): "What do you think it is anyway. They must have power. A shower would be nice right about now...wash off the rest of Harris."
- Jaha: "We were meant to be here John. These mines are just another test of our faith."
- Murphy: "Yeah, well, I was always crap at tests so um, please after you Chancellor."
- Wick: "I'll have you know I was a god at fluid dynamics."
- Raven: "You think you were a god at everything."
- Wick: "Empirical evidence doesn't lie."
- Clarke: " Everything okay?"
- Octavia: "I've been going over and over it in my head, just trying to figure out how your still alive?
- Clarke: "What are you talking about?"
- Octavia: "I saw you in TonDc before the missile hit. I know you, Clarke, something was wrong. And then you and Lexa disappear and just happen to survive. Tell me you didn't know it was coming."
- Clarke: "Octavia...."
- Octavia: "You let all those people die. You were gonna let me die."
- Clarke: "I did it to save Bellamy so that we could win this war. Don't you see that? If we'd evacuated TonDc, Mount Weather would've known that someone tipped us off. They would have found your brother."
- Octavia: "No. Bellamy would have never told you to do that. He would've found another way."
- Clarke: "I couldn't take that risk."
- Octavia: "Right. Because you're in charge now; and you decide who is disposable. You would've fit right in on the Council."
- Lexa: Once Bellamy shuts down the acid fog and the battle begins everything will be clear."
- Clarke: "What if he can't? What if it was too dangerous and I sent him in there anyway?"
- Lexa: "You care about him?"
- Clarke: "I care about all of them."
- Lexa: But you worry about him more?"
- Clarke: I couldn't have kept us alive all this time without him. We need him. And now I might be the one who gets him killed."
- Lexa "The truth is, we must look into the eyes of our warriors and say, go die for me.'"
- Clarke: "If only it were that easy. Can we please just get back to the plan?"
- Lexa: "No! You could be a leader your people look to, pour their hopes and dreams into. Someone they would fight and die for."
- Clarke: "I never asked for that. I'm just trying to keep us alive."
- Lexa: "You were born for this Clarke, same as me."
- Clarke: What the hell is wrong with you? You can't just kill everyone you don't trust."
- Lexa: "Yes I can."
- Clarke: Well, I won't let you."
- Lexa: You were willing to let her die two days ago. Nothing has changed."
- Clarke: "You say having feelings makes me weak, but you're weak by hiding from them. I might be a hypocrite Lexa but you're a liar. You felt something for Gustus. You're still haunted by Costia. You want everyone to think your above it all but I see right through you."
- Clarke: "250 people died in that village. I know you felt for them, but you let them burn."
- Lexa: "Not everyone. Not you."
- Lexa: "I do trust you, Clarke."
- Clarke: "I know how hard that is for you."
- Lexa: You think our ways are harsh, but it is how we survive."
- Clarke: "Maybe life should be about more than just surviving. Don't we deserve better than that?"
- Lexa: "Maybe we do." (kisses Clarke)
- Clarke: "I'm not ready… to be with anyone. Not yet."
- Octavia: to Clarke: "I'll fight this war with you now because I want our friends back. But after that, we're done."
- Indra: "I know it bothers you they knew about the missile."
- Octavia: "How could you not hate them? Indra, they almost killed you."
- Indra: "They didn't do anything the enemy did. Lexa's a great Commander because she's ruthless. That's how I'll win this battle."
- Octavia: "That's wrong."
- Indra: "That's war."
- Murphy: "Tell me, what level of crazy is too much for you? I'm just curious."
- Jaha: "We need a boat and a boat appears. This is our destiny. The City of Light is out there and we're going to find it."
Notes and Trivia Edit
- Wick's first name was revealed to be Kyle.
- Raven and Wick sleep together for the first time.
- Lexa and Clarke share their first kiss together.
Body Count Edit
- Harris and Lily killed in the Dead Zone by Land Mines
- Garza and at least 5 other Mount Weather Guards killed by Acid Fog explosion
Behind the Scenes Edit
- The title of this episode is part of a famous World War II quote by Winston Churchill: "In wartime, truth is so precious that she must often be attended by a bodyguard of lies." The quote can be interpreted as: In times of war, people must lie to protect/conceal the truth.
- "Bodyguard of Lies" is also a book written by Anthony Cave Brown that is based on the quote.
- Filming of this episode started December 8, 2014.