|“||Welcome to Bardo.||”|
|— A Disciple [src]|
Bardo is an extraterrestrial planet that became uninhabitable, leaving it without a breathable atmosphere. It is the home of the Disciples. It was once home to an alien race referred to as the "Bardoans" who had control of the Temporal Anomaly.
The Bardoans were extraterrestrial giants who destroyed their planet, implying that they were at war with each other. They built an underground structure to survive before eventually going extinct. According to Anders, they were wiped out by Gen-9, and turned into crystal giants. They left behind logs referring to their use of the Anomaly Stone and what Becca Franko would dub "the final code" leading to Judgment Day and the end of their species. In reality, this was a test by the Judge to determine if a race would Transcend or be annihilated. When the Bardoans failed the test, the Judge sent Gen-9 to wipe them out.
At some point after the extinction of the Bardoans, the Second Dawn cult members from Earth arrived through the Temporal Anomaly fleeing the aftermath of the Nuclear Apocalypse. They settled on Bardo and became the Disciples. The Disciples found and adopted much of the Bardoans' technology and over the course of centuries, translated the logs they left behind.
Each person had a unique biometric code by which an Anomaly Stone can find someone in the universe. The code used to fit on a Bardoan's arm but for humans the only place big enough is their back. The Bardoans would use it to pull back someone who was stuck in the Anomaly. The Disciples stopped using it due to its 20% chance of failure.
Throughout the Series
Like the humans on Earth, the Bardoans destroyed their own planet, causing it to become uninhabitable and have an unbreathable atmosphere. They had to build an underground shelter to survive because of this. According to Anders, they lost a "Last War" to an unknown enemy, who then proceeded to wipe them out using Gen-9, turning their entire species into crystal giants. The Disciples believe that their Last War will be against this same enemy.
In "A Little Sacrifice," Bill Cadogan reveals to Gabriel Santiago, Niylah and Jordan Green that the Bardoans left behind logs detailing their use of the Anomaly Stone and how entering the final code caused them to face the last war and transcendence which became the source of the Disciples' beliefs after they translated the language after centuries of trying. After examining the logs himself, Jordan comes to believe that the Bardoan language is structured like Korean and was actually mistranslated by the Disciples. Instead of speaking of a last war, Jordan believes that the Bardoans were speaking of a test where one individual enters the code and represents their species to determine the species' final fate.
In "The Last War," the Judge confirms that Jordan was right about it being a test and not a Last War and explains that the Bardoans were one of many species that had failed the test and were annihilated as a result.
- Bardoans †
- Second Dawn members †
- Conductor Doucette †
- Bellamy Blake †
- Bill Cadogan †
- Anders †
- Shoana (Transcended)
- Hayden (Transcended)
- Cameron (Transcended)
- Lorenza (Transcended)
- Zora (Transcended)
- Kwame (Transcended)
- Miss Haggerman (Transcended)
- Kim (Transcended)
- Sean (Transcended)
- Eleven Disciples †
- Captain Meredith †
- Scar †
- Kirsch †
- Conductor Corbett †
- Various Disciple prisoners †
- Eligius Prisoners (Transcended)
This underground shelter was built by the native Bardoan race, due to the destruction of their planet that was left uninhabitable. Their planet's atmosphere was so polluted that they were forced to build forests underground in order to breathe, even they used the technology to create rainfall. This underground shelter is the only location on Bardo. After the Bardoans went extinct, humanity came to this place to escape the aftermath of the Nuclear Apocalypse that has destroyed the Earth. There, they became the Disciples.
Locations within the Underground Shelter
- Arboretum/Oxygen plant
- Stone Room/The Bridge
- Living Quarters L1-L6
- Living Quarters L7-L12
- Galley - Mess Hall
- Training - Adolescent/Pre-Ad's
- Ministry - M-Cap
- Cryo-Labs/Sepulcher chamber - Location of the Shepherd
- Cell Block 1
- Cell Block 2
- Power Plant
- Central Humidification System, The Machine Level.
|From the Ashes||Mentioned|
|Welcome to Bardo||Appears|
|The Queen's Gambit||Appears|
|A Little Sacrifice||Appears|
|A Sort of Homecoming||Appears|
|The Dying of the Light||Appears|
|The Last War||Appears|
Notes and Trivia
- Due to planet's very distant location or possibly the presence of the Anomaly or the worse atmospheric conditions, the communication signal is very weak.
- The people sent to bring Bellamy, Echo and Gabriel back to Bardo are human with Anomaly tattoos that match Hope's but are different from Octavia's.
- Compared to the soldiers of Sanctum and Children of Gabriel, the Disciples from Bardo use highly advanced technology, judging by their weapons and armor.
- Time runs faster on Bardo compared to Sanctum but slower than on Skyring as confirmed by a Disciple in "Hesperides." Gabriel Santiago suggests that a year on Skyring is only a few days on Bardo.
- Like Skyring, Bardo's neighboring planet appears to have a planetary ring, though smaller and fainter.
- Bardo is specifically identified as being a planet unlike Sanctum which was originally believed to be a planet but turned out to be an habitable moon instead.